[News] Schools Adopts Gentoo GNU/Linux

Using Gentoo Linux in K-12 School’s Computer Lab

,----[ Quote ]
| GHCA recently updated all their computers to run the Gentoo distribution of
| the Linux operating system. This video interviews system administrator
| Michael Surran, exploring the details as to why the school switched to Gentoo
| and how Gentoo is used to improve productivity and functionality.
| Of particular interest is the use of distributed compiled computing (distcc)
| among the 20 Athlon computers to greatly speed the software building process.
`----

http://linuxfilesystem.com/uncategorized/using-gentoo-linux-in-k-12-schools-computer-lab

"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..."

                --Paul DeGroot, a Directions On Microsoft analyst.

Recent:

Gentoo still rules

,----[ Quote ]
| Gentoo is pretty good for this kind of thing, whatever its other
| shortcomings. Does any other distro make it this easy to do such things? (I'm
| genuinely curious.)
`----

http://briancarper.net/2008/09/26/gentoo-still-rules/

Viva Gentoo

,----[ Quote ]
| Talking about a light desktop, there is now a Gentoo project to bring LXDE,
| the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment, to our beloved distro. I already
| committed PCManFM, a fast and lightweight, tabbed GTK+ file manager, which is
| used as the default file manager in LXDE.
`----

http://ben.liveforge.org/viva-gentoo

Satisfied Gentoo users

,----[ Quote ]
| If you, like me, would rather “think positive” — life can be depressing
| enough as it is — then here are some more recent, positive, reactions from
| satisfied Gentoo users...
`----

http://ben.liveforge.org/satisfied-gentoo-users

I keep coming back to Gentoo!

,----[ Quote ]
| And in general, portage and all the gentoo associated tools feel better,
| maybe because I have become more accustomed to them. And final point, I do
| not have to install g++, it is already installed. The toolchain is already
| there to compile anything that I want.
`----

http://rahulthewall.wordpress.com/2008/09/27/i-keep-coming-back-to-gentoo/

Recent:

New release strategy to provide more current install media

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080922-releng-announcement.xml