[News] [Rival] Vista 7 Self-Destructs

Windows 7 users panic when Microsoft gives wrong auto-reboot date

,----[ Quote ]
| A mistake by Microsoft sent some users into a panic when they received an
| e-mail that told them their copies of Windows 7 beta would automatically
| begin rebooting every two hours starting June 1.
|
| Windows 7 beta, which was released to the public in January, will expire on
| Aug. 1. A month before that, the operating system will prod users to move on
| to the next milestone, dubbed "RC" for Release Candidate, or revert to an
| older OS such as Vista or XP. Microsoft doesn't go for subtlety: It warns
| users of an approaching expiration date by automatically shutting down, then
| restarting, the PC every two hours.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133664&intsrc=news_ts_head

Windows 7 Beta Shuts Down July 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Users who run the trial version of Microsoft's new OS beyond its expiration
| date will suffer endless reboots.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217600886&subSection=News

Recent:

Microsoft has cold feet?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the moment this appears merely to be a rumor, but theres opinion on the
| net that Microsoft may be removing the three app restriction on the starter
| version of Windows 7.  You can see the article here.
|
| It must be stressed that I have not been able to confirm or deny this at
| current time.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/microsoft-has-cold-feet/

Microsoft, analysts tell companies to kill Vista plans

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=45E5512E-1A64-6A71-CE0D8CC8D6EE20C8

Windows 7: 83% Of Businesses Won't Deploy Next Year

,----[ Quote ]
| The survey, of more than 1,100 IT professionals, is one of the first
| extensive looks at Windows 7's early sales prospects. It found that a
| whopping 83% of enterprises plan to skip the OS in its first year. While the
| business market typically tends toward caution when it comes to new products,
| the figure is nonetheless surprising given that almost no large companies
| migrated to Vista and as a result most have been using XP much longer than
| planned.
|
| [...]
|
| The open source Linux OS also could benefit from slow uptake of Windows 7 in
| the enterprise market, as could Google's Android OS -- which some computer
| makers are reportedly testing as a netbook platform. Fifty percent of those
| surveyed by Dimensional Research said they've considered switching to a
| non-Windows OS to avoid Vista or Windows 7
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216500331&subSection=News

The Windows 7 beta testing disaster

,----[ Quote ]