[News] People Go Online for Legally-shared Literature

New Goal Set for Project Gutenberg: One Billion Readers

,----[ Quote ]
| The first goal of Project Gutenberg was simply to reach totals of estimated
| audiences of 1.5% of the world population, or the total of 100 million
| people.
`----

http://www.pg-news.org/20090524/new-goal-set-for-project-gutenberg-one-billion-readers/

On-demand book publishing booms in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. publishing industry passed a key marker last year, with the
| publication of more "on-demand" or short-run titles than traditional books, a
| U.S. company that keeps publishing statistics says.
|
| While the swing may be temporary, caused as major publishers retrenched, it
| could be "a watershed year in the book publishing industry, fuelled by the
| changing dynamics of the marketplace and the proliferation of sophisticated
| publishing technologies," said Kelly Gallagher, vice-president of publisher
| services for Bowker, which provides bibliographic data and services.
`----

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2009/05/27/on-demand-books.html

Music Labels Cut Friendlier Deals With Start-Ups

,----[ Quote ]
| With CD sales dropping fast, it is not hard to imagine how the major music
| labels could benefit from the growth of Web start-ups like Imeem. The
| company’s service lets people listen to songs, discover new artists and share
| their favorites with friends. And in return, Imeem owes the labels licensing
| fees for use of the music.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/technology/start-ups/28music.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

They wake up too late.

Recent:

Massive Layoffs Hit The RIAA: Maybe Focus On Building Business Rather Than
Suing Customers Next Time?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090227/1203203925.shtml