[News] [Rival] Microsoft-Hired Shills (CompTIA and ACT) Attack EU Commission

Microsoft Antitrust Case Sparks Lobby Group Turf War

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest Microsoft antitrust battle in Europe has sparked a turf war
| between lobby groups that claim to represent small and medium size
| enterprises' (SMEs) interests in the case.PIN-SME, a lobby group on the side
| of the European Commission -- Europe's top antitrust authority -- hit out at
| rival the Association for Competitive Technology (ACT) in a statement
| Thursday. The document dismissed ACT's claim earlier this week that SMEs need
| a solid Windows platform containing Internet Explorer (IE) for building
| software.
|
| [...]
|
| ACT this week submitted its opinions on the Microsoft antitrust case to the
| Commission. It said it is acting on behalf of 73 SME firms. ACT president
| Jonathan Zuck hit back at Toffaletti's criticism in an interview, pointing
| out that Microsoft is a sponsor, not a member, of the trade group, and
| defending his impartiality.Sponsors also include Oracle and eBay, and
| together their revenue comes to roughly the same amount as ACT makes from
| membership fees from its 4,000 members, Zuck said.
|
| [...]
|
| Another long-serving Microsoft ally in its European Commission antitrust
| battles, the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA) Thursday
| backed up Zuck's argument that SMEs are on Microsoft's side in the
| case.CompTIA is intervening in the Microsoft case on behalf of 90 SMEs, it
| said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165674/microsoft_antitrust_case_sparks_lobby_group_turf_war.html

Recent:

What Shall We Do About Software Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| The ACT seems to think that the patent system works so well in the US, that
| Europe absolutely must ditch its own quaintly fragmented approach, and adopt
| a nicely unified one closer to the Stateside model.
|
| Pity, then, that books like Patent Failure provide hundreds of pages of
| incontrovertible evidence that the patent system there actually costs more
| money – in terms of litigation – than it generates for patent holders, with
| the possible exception of the pharmaceutical industry (and we all know what
| paragons they are, especially in their licensing terms to developing
| countries.)
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1632

Related: