[News] Patent Thicket Harms XML, Proposed Solution Involving USPTO Fines

Wait, Editing An XML Document Is Patented And Worth $98 Per Application?

,----[ Quote ]
| A bunch of folks sent in variations on the story about Microsoft losing a
| patent infringement lawsuit to the tune of $200 million to a small Toronto
| firm (the ruling also came right on the heals of another ruling against
| Microsoft in a patent case, for $388 million).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090526/0238335008.shtml

Another Simple Way to End the Patent Threat: Monetary Punishment and Rewards

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a simple, yet novel way to end the patent threat to Linux, FOSS and
| generally anyone that the big corporations want to destroy or mess with. If
| you look at the patent fee schedule at the USPTO, you'll see that it's
| outrageously expensive to file a patent. This isn't a problem for the big
| guys with the big fat bankrolls, but it's bad for the little guy. For those
| too lazy to look at the link, the list essentially creates a picture of how
| badly you get nickeled and dimed to death every time you file a patent.
|
| Interestingly enough, this can be used to the advantage of FOSS and Linux
| lovers the world over.
|
| [...]
|
| The fine would work something like this. First, the entire fine would be paid
| to the USPTO upon invalidation of the patent (Total fine should be the cost
| of the original application +50% extra), of which 5% would go to whoever
| successfully invalidated the patent, be it an examiner or an individual. In
| short, if you invalidated a patent that cost a company $100,000 to get
| approved, the total fine would be $150,000, of which you'd get $7500 for your
| efforts.  (this same fee system could be applied to the first fine as well)
| Think of it this way, if they start offering bounties like this on
| invalidated patents, we would see two things.  First, we'd see the death of
| one kind of patent troll, and the rise of another. Namely, a reverse patent
| troll. And who would these reverse patent trolls be?
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/another_simple_way_to_end_the_patent_threat_monetary_punishment_and_rewards

Recent:

EU Software Patents v3.0: The Patent Empire Counter Attack

,----[ Quote ]
| Four years ago, the European Parliament has rejected a directive that would
| have codified the practice to grant software patents by the European Patent
| Office. Now the President of the EPO has decided to refer the question of
| software patents to the Enlarged Board of Appeal, in an other attempt to
| validate the case law developed by the Technical Board of Appeals. Another
| attempt to create an harmonious interpretation of the Convention is the
| creation of a central patent court.
`----

http://www.hackerspace.net/eu-software-patents-v3-0:the-patent-empire-counter-attack

EU commission takes another shot at software patents

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/tonnerre/?p=42