Re: [News] New FreeSWITCH Released, Other Free Software Scoops

On Thu, 28 May 2009 22:27:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Open Source Soft-Switch Now Supports Secure VoIP With ZRTP
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The FreeSWITCH team is pleased to announce the immediate availability of
>| version 1.0.4pre8. This latest release is the most stable and secure version
>| of FreeSWITCH to date. All are encouraged to update as soon as possible. The
>| latest files are available at files.freeswitch.org.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11414.html

And, lest it be said I disagree with everything Roy posts, this is not the
case here.

FreeSWITCH is an amazing piece of software that leaves Asterisk in the
dust.  I've used FS for about 9 months now, and it's flexibility and
featureset always amaze me.

Asterisk is a piece of crap that after many years still doesn't support
certain key VOIP standards, like SRTP (much less ZRTP as FS does) and SIP
over TCP.

The Asterisk developers seem more interested in breaking everything so they
can sell more commercial versions.

Now, granted, FreeSWITCH doesn't have a nice Web configuration tool like
Asterisk, but that will be coming eventually.  If you can deal with hand
editing config files, FS is a very good and more stable alternative (oh,
and it runs on more than just Linux, but I use it on Centos).