[News] Stallman Talks About the Kernel 5 years Before Linux, Kernel Conference Coming

  • Subject: [News] Stallman Talks About the Kernel 5 years Before Linux, Kernel Conference Coming
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 09:19:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GNU'S NOT UNIX - Richard Stallman with BYTE editors, July 1986

,----[ Quote ]
| Stallman: I'm currently planning to start with the kernel that was written at
| MIT and was released to the public recently with the idea that I would use
| it. This kernel is called TRIX; it's based on remote procedure call. I still
| need to add compatibility for a lot of the features of UNIX which it doesn't
| have currently. I haven't started to work on that yet. I'm finishing the
| compiler before I go to work on the kernel. I am also going to have to
| rewrite the file system. I intend to make it failsafe just by having it write
| blocks in the proper order so that the disk structure is always consistent.
| Then I want to add version numbers. I have a complicated scheme to reconcile
| version numbers with the way people usually use UNIX. You have to be able to
| specify filenames without version numbers, but you also have to be able to
| specify them with explicit version numbers, and these both need to work with
| ordinary UNIX programs that have not been modified in any way to deal with
| the existence of this feature. I think I have a scheme for doing this, and
| only trying it will show me whether it really does the job.
`----

http://www.fsdaily.com/blog/gnus-not-unix-richard-stallman-byte-editors-july-1986

Kernel Conference Australia 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the finest minds in Open Source operating systems are coming to
| Brisbane for the first Kernel Conference Australia - come and hear keynote
| presentations from Jeff Bonwick, Bill Moore from Sun Microsystems Inc and Max
| Alt from Intel USA - learn about other operating systems' features - be
| inspired to contribute.
`----

http://au.sun.com/sunnews/events/2009/kernel/

Recent:

Gentoo GNU/Hurd thread in Gentoo Forums

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2008-11/msg00029.html

Bits from the Debian GNU/Hurd porters

,----[ Quote ]
| it has been more than three years since the last "Bits from the Debian
| GNU/Hurd porters"[1], high time for an update on the port.
`----

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/09/msg00004.html

GNU and FSF News for May 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been continued discussion of the GNU Hurd GSoC projects this month.
| One of the subjects covered is the issue of copyright assignments by the
| contributors. Sergiu Ivanov announced the availability of an extension module
| that allows retrieving the uptime of the system and the load averages from
| Python scripts
|
| How you can help: The number of developers working on the Hurd and GNU Mach
| continues to be small and they could use your help. Check in on the #hurd IRC
| channel or the bug-hurd mailing list. There should be no trouble finding
| interesting things to work on.
`----

http://www.advogato.org/article/975.html

In search of the GNU OS - First try

,----[ Quote ]
| Last night I sat down (with some caffeine and print outs) and had my first
| proper attempt at installing GNU. I've been reading as much documentation as
| I could find over the past week or so and I was led to believe that using the
| prepared CD images might be a better option for a beginner.
`----

http://gnu-os.blogspot.com/2008/01/first-try.html

Related:

GNU and FSF News for January 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the new year and another monthly installment of news about the
| Free Software Foundation and the GNU Project. This month we have news from
| the FSF Europe, the latest numbers on GPLv3 conversions, the annual Gfortran
| report from the GCC folks, a GLib development release, Stallman commenting on
| the GNOME's alleged support of OOXML, GNU Hurd news, and more.
|
| [...]
|
| GNU Hurd
|
| Shakthi Kannan has been working on a high-level system architecture diagram
| of the main components in GNU Mach and the Hurd. After several iterations of
| accepting corrections and other suggestions on the bug-hurd list, he came up
| with a diagram that was generally agreed to be reasonably close (PNG image,
| DIA diagram).
`----

http://www.advogato.org/article/958.html

Debian GNU/Minix

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally someone has seen the light and started a project that I called for in
| a previous article. This melding of the Minix kernel with the GNU userland is
| called Preventa, and seems to poke fun at the name Nexenta, a similar project
| using the Solaris kernel, all in good fun I’m sure, considering that the
| project leader’s blog is called “La Salle Debain” (a play on “Debian” and the
| French for “bathroom”).
`----

http://mauroandres.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/debian-gnuminix/

The GNU Hurd

,----[ Quote ]
| This post was written for two reasons: one is to raise awareness about the
| existence of the GNU Hurd kernel and maybe bring it to the attention of
| people who want to help with its development.
`----

http://linux4coffee.wordpress.com/2007/10/14/the-gnu-hurd/

Students develop new GNU installer

,----[ Quote ]