Re: A battle over deposing Bill Gates

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> nessuno on Monday:
>
>> The Gates Half-Day Deposition:
>>
>> Oooh. Oooh. Let's do. Here it is, Exhibit A [PDF].
>>
>> How very much Mr. Gates does not know! Could that explain
>> Microsoft Vista?...
>>
>> Ah! Now I see what Novell might have been doing. For
>> example, on page 4 (subsection 6, top left), the lawyer asks
>> Gates if he considers himself an expert on litigation. No,
>> says the very busy man. He does not. So the lawyer shows him
>> an exhibit, an email authored by Mr. Gates in which he says
>> he's an expert in litigation in an email to Ballmer 14 years
>> ago:
>>
>> "I generally try and worry only about the things I have
>> special expertise on (lawsuits, patents, technology,
>> internet) and a few big things we all know about (novell
>> perfect office, lotus notes, smartSuite)," close quote.
>>
>> "Does that refresh your recollection, Mr. Gates, that you
>> profess special expertise with respects to lawsuits?"
>>
>> "Yeah...."
>>
>> See what I mean? This is performance art. It just doesn't
>> work in a deposition or a courtroom. </Quote>
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20090523231352189
>
> Can white-collar criminals be sent to prison in the US or only
> shoplifters?

Martha Stewart spent 5 months in jail for perjury regarding
stocks.  However, US seems to be unable to take care of the drug
trafficking problems, theft, murder among other criminal matters.
 Do you think it capable of properly prosecuting a convicted
monopoly?  Singapore hangs drug traffickers, enjoys status as 2nd
lowest crime level next to Japan.  Problem in US is those with
status and money with a sharp legal team seem immune.

Hence is why companies turned to EU.  EU has noted the problems
with the convicted monopoly, but measures of only fines, albeit
huge ones have shown to have little or no effect.  It would seem
the only way to stop such would be jail sentences.  Or ban
products for sale in EU.

--
HPT