Re: [News] Typical Microsoft Uninterested in Interoperability

After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> In article <YdnRl.577$he4.524@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> No, I think that importing old WP docs should not be part of any standard --
>> WP is merely an old, dead (and hence stable and well-known) format that an
>> application can convert from WP format into its own internal format, to be
>> written out again, preferably in ODF.
>>
>> In other words, the application uses a plugin to grab the data, and convert
>> it as best as possible into ODF, then operates on the ODF using the ODF
>> standard.
>
> That's OK for most situations, but sometimes you need to be able to go
> back--to take that converted document, and print it or display it with
> the formatting that the original program (e.g., WordPerfect) would have
> used.

That makes sense.

> The way people will do that with ODF is that when they convert
> from WordPerfect to ODF, they will write additional information that
> says things like "this paragraph uses the so-and-so WP line wrap mode"
> for those parts of the document whose formatting cannot be expressed in
> ODF.

Well, I still that is the job of the plugin converter, and it should not
have to output a WP-related construct, but a series of ODF constructs that
have the same or similar effect.

> They'll do exactly the same thing in OOXML.  The only difference is that
> in OOXML, the standard contains (or contained--as I said, they may have
> taken the list out) a list of names to use for the tags, so that if you
> write a plugin to convert WP to OOXML and I write a plugin to convert WP
> to OOXML, we can pick the same names.

To my way of thinking, the output would /not/ be a WP construct, but an ODF
or OOXML construct set that yields similar output.

Otherwise you end up polluting your format with special cases derived from
the products of other vendors.

--
The lovely woman-child Kaa was mercilessly chained to the cruel post of
the warrior-chief Beast, with his barbarian tribe now stacking wood at