Re: [News] RIAA Commits Suicide by Suing Customers

  • Subject: Re: [News] RIAA Commits Suicide by Suing Customers
  • From: wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:28:56 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The 14 Most Ridiculous Lawsuits Filed by the RIAA and the MPAA
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Nine years ago the RIAA won a groundbreaking suit against Napster.com in
> | what would become the beginning of a nearly decade-long flood of
> | litigation.
> `----
>
> http://brainz.org/14-most-ridiculous-lawsuits-filed-riaa-and-mpaa/

The RIAA promised to stop suing people.  I read this on Digg late last year.
I guess they were lying, and I'm not surprised.  I don't even listen to
RIAA and mainstream stuff, so I guess I'm good for now!

I try to buy from the artists' pages.  I avoid the middleman.

> Recent:
>
> Obama Administration Claims Copyright Treaty Involves State Secrets?!?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | When the Obama administration took over, there was a public stance that
> | this administration was going to be more transparent -- especially with
> | regards to things like Freedom of Information Act requests. The
> | nonprofit group Knowledge Ecology International took that to heart and
> | filed an FOIA request to get more info on ACTA. The US Trade
> | Representative's Office responded denying the request, saying that the
> | information was "classified in the interest of national security
> | pursuant to Executive Order 12958." This is a treaty about changing
> | copyright law, not sending missiles somewhere. To claim that it's a
> | national security matter is just downright scary. As KEI points out, the
> | text of the documents requested have been available to tons of people,
> | including more than 30 governments around the world and lobbyists from
> | the entertainment industry, pharma industry and publishing industry.
> `----
>
> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090313/1456154113.shtml

To get people to go with laws, you convince them that it's good for national
security.  Of course, it's an excuse to chip away at our freedoms.  People
don't notice the little things at first, but they will speak up when it
personally affects them.