Re: [News] Free Software Principles Pass to Other Areas

Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that wispygalaxy spake thusly:
>
>> A lot of these issues deal with ethics
>
> That's my primary interest. Others are more focused on technical issues,
> but therein lies the danger of becoming so engrossed in solving software
> problems that one becomes oblivious (indeed contemptuous) to moral ones.

I've seen your stuff, Homer, on your homepage.  It's intriguing, and it
definitely opened my eyes to things in the tech world.

I'm going to be taking some ethics and philosophy courses in about a year at
school, so I guess I'll learn more about all of this.  :)

> Take Linus Torvalds or Miguel de Icaza, for example. The former supports
> binary blobs in the Linux kernel, and the revocation of our Freedom with
> sinister technologies like Tivoisation; the latter poisons Free Software
> with Microsoft Intellectual Monopoly, in the form of Mono and Moonlight.

I'm thinking of this quote by Richard Stallman:

"Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics
alone, but politics won't leave you alone."