[News] GNU/Linux Wins on OLPC, Freedom Wins

Sugar Wins! Nobody Buying Windows XO Laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| It was almost exactly one year ago that Nicholas Negroponte announced an
| agreement between OLPC and Microsoft to bring Windows XP to the XO-1 to great
| turmoil. I vividly remember the late-night flood of e-mails and IRC chats
| where everyone was trying to figure out just what that announcement really
| meant.
|
| [...]
|
| I've been wondering about what ever happened to these Windows XP-based OLPC
| trials. I haven't really heard anything about them in quite some time. Now
| more recently I've asked around and found there is a good reason why I
| haven't seen anything: countries are choosing Sugar over Windows XP for their
| XO deployments.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/software/windows/nobody_buying_windows_xo_laptops.html

Amherst man famed for Unix – software and his license plate

,----[ Quote ]
| Jon Hall, of Amherst, has the most celebrated license plate in New Hampshire.
|
| Actually, it's more than that.
|
| The combination of "Live Free or Die" and "UNIX" on his Jeep Wrangler is the
| most celebrated New Hampshire license plate in the entire world!
`----

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090517/STYLE/305179976

Recent:

One XO Learning Laptop Per South Carolinian School Child

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, One Laptop Per Child/South Carolina launched a XO laptop pilot
| project at Britton's Neck Elementary in Marion School District Seven and
| Rains Centenary Early Childhood Center in Mullins, with 500 computers and an
| over-riding goal: one XO learning laptop per South Carolinian school child.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/usa/olpc_south_carolina_school_child.html

The OLPC XO-1.5 and Fedora 11

,----[ Quote ]