Re: [News] Free Software Principles Pass to Other Areas

  this bit o' wisdom:

> ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Monday 18 May 2009 17:29 : \____
>
>> I've been reading it in my OLPC XO.
>>
>> Normally, I use FBReader, which handles rotating the page image for ebook
>> mode.  But it doesn't support PDF format.
>>
>> So I've been using the basic PDF viewer, XPDF, to read it.  What I've found
>> out is that, not only does the XO manage XRANDR rotation well, but Fluxbox,
>> a supposedly primitive window manager, also manages it well.  All I have to
>> do is start xpdf, and then maximize it.  Then select the orientation by
>> pressing the "rotate" button on the XO.  Once the proper orienation is in
>> place, wait a few seconds, and xpdf comes up maximized perfectly for ebook
>> reading.
>>
>> It's pretty just how readable tiny quoted text is on the XO screen, too.
>
> Bigger screen than Kindle, no DRM.

The firmware is DRM'd.  Mainly to prevent kids from messing it up.

But you can apply for a free developer key to unlock it so it will boot to
other devices.

--
Q:	How many college football players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:	Only one, but he gets three credits for it.