Re: [News] GNU/Linux Has Many Viable Choices for Sub-notebooks

____/ wispygalaxy on Friday 15 May 2009 19:22 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> 10 solid Linux distributions for your netbook
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If you’ve purchased a netbook, you’re most likely looking at either
>> | Xandros Linux or some version of Windows. Although the Xandros operating
>> | system is a serviceable operating system, it always seems you are using
>> | an operating system hindered by hardware. However, it doesn’t have to be
>> | that way. There are plenty of flavors of Linux out there that can be
>> | installed on your netbook that will give you a similar (if not
>> | identical) experience to that of your standard laptop.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=729
>
> It's nice to see that so many distros can be comfortably run on netbooks.
>

>> Out goes Xandros… in comes Ubuntu
>>

>>http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/davea/2009/05/14/out-goes-xandros-in-comes-ubuntu/
>
> I always hear that people replace Xandros and use something else.  Poor
> Xandros haha.

I've met a person who wanted the Xandros distribution on it even though he
tried other distributions and Windows XP on it.

>> Recent:
>>
>> Why Linux Will Crush Windows 7 on Netbooks
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Linux versions of netbooks are already doing quite well and if Microsoft
>> | shoots itself in the foot by crippling its OS, the question becomes less
>> | about choosing between Windows and Linux and more about choosing between
>> | crippled and “just works.”
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Why_Linux_Will_Crush_Windows_7_on_Netbooks
>
> How can it not?  Linux plays nice with a wide variety of hardware.  Plus,
> Linux is so much more fun to use.  :)
>

>> Hands on: Running Windows 7 on a netbook
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Performance wasn't the only problem I came across. For example, I was
>> | unable to perform two network-related tasks at once. For example, if I
>> | copied a file from a network server or watched a YouTube video, life was
>> | fine. But if I tried to do both things at once, I ended up with a frozen
>> | system.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | I experienced several difficulties running popular applications on the
>> | Dell Mini 9. Windows 7's built-in applications, such as Media Center,
>> | felt slow to respond. Other apps behaved sluggishly as well. For
>> | example, Microsoft Word 2003 took 27 seconds to launch on the Mini 9; it
>> | took only 11 seconds on the HP EliteBook 2530p.
>> |
>> | Some problems, such as abrupt slowdowns when trying to run Microsoft
>> | Office 2003, Office 2007 and Quicken 2008, were clearly caused by memory
>> | problems. There simply wasn't enough RAM to run them effectively. When I
>> | tried to run two or more major applications at the same time, the
>> | performance dropped from merely miserable to "Is this thing still on?"
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | If you must have Windows on a netbook, XP Home SP3 is still the better
>> | choice over Windows 7 -- at least, for now. And, even though Microsoft
>> | is doing its best to kill off XP, it looks like the PC makers aren't
>> | going to let Microsoft put XP out to pasture after all.
>> `----
>
> Oh dear.  I guess this is why Windows 7 has that "XP mode".

Not for sub-notebooks. Too fat.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Saying that XP is the most stable MS OS is like saying that
asparagus is the most articulate vegetable. -- Dave Barry