Re: [News] GNU/Linux Makes Windows XP Seem Like a Nightmare

On 2009-05-13, Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> ____/ Terry Porter on Sunday 26 April 2009 13:16 : \____

>> http://jkontherun.com/2009/04/19/microsoft-windows-out-of-box-experience-sucks/
>>>

>>> LOL, how STUPID is that ?
>>>
>>> Recently dr flatfish stated that MythTV is too complex and time consuming to
>>> bother with, yet I can install a whole MythTV box from scratch in about 1/2
>>> an hour.
>>>
>>> Here, a 'simple' Windows update takes 5 reboots and took almost
>>> 3.5 hours, thats 7 times longer than installing MythTV.
>>>
>>> Why am I not surprised ?
>>
>> MythTV is great !! It just needs advertising (for itself, not for the TV).
>>

> Unfortunately, Mythtv completely favours the customer, by allowing
> long-term storage of materials which have been broadcast to one's

    This is one key point where MythTV is fundementally at odds with
"modern cable". In particular, cable labs insists that any recordings
on a media center PC remain encrypted and tied to the media center
software.

    Considering the fact that a cable card card is about as expensive
as a realtime h264 encoder, this is remarkably peculiar. That's not
even getting into the problem of you actually getting your hands on
a cablecard PC decoder.

> receiver.  Most copyright owners aren't keen on that - they want the
> consumer to accept having this stuff irradiating their premises, whilst
> paying for the privilege... this is not a great fit :-)

     No, the media moguls don't really want to allow openness. It
doesn't really matter that all the stuff is already available for
free download at the Pirate Bay (despite everything). They want to
make sure that you can't take good advantage of it as a paying
customer.

--
	Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have       |||
better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't      / | \