[News] Tesco Crashes, Needs Rebooting. Guess the O/S?

Tesco tills go titsup

,----[ Quote ]
| According to PA, about 100 stores are affected, and the problems are being
| rectified by rebooting the checkouts.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/11/tesco_tills/

This explains why Tesco sells GNU/Linux machines (references below). Tesco
knows what it's like to use that other, proprietary 'O/S'.

Recent:

Dell & Tesco bringing Linux to the masses - launching £299 Inspiron Z530 "Web
Browser" in October

,----[ Quote ]
| The Z530 is described by Tesco as a "Web Browser" rather than a Laptop, PC,
| portable computer or any of the more usual terms, so presumably Dell and
| Tesco are aiming it at the Eee PC end of the market, where people don't give
| a toss about the OS and just want something cheap to leave on the sofa for
| checking instant messages during the boring bits of TV.
`----

http://www.techdigest.tv/2008/09/dell_tesco_brin.html

Tesco reveals unannounced Dell 12in netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, we did wonder if Tesco's spec is a garbled reference not to a netbook
| but to an upcoming Dell MID. But the spec also mentions 1GB of RAM, a 40GB
| hard drive, "Ubunto Linux" (sic), dimensions extending to 30 x 30 x 17cm and
| a weight of 1.2kg, all of which are rather large for an MID.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/12/tesco_dell_netbook_leak/

Tesco breaks free of WMA chains

,----[ Quote ]
| TESCO DIGITAL will soon be launched in the UK. The partly DRM-free music
| download concern will now offer 1.6 million Ipod-friendly MP3 files alongside
| the current roster 1.7-million Windows-hamstringed tunes.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/15/tesco-breaks-free-wma-chains

Related:

Tesco sell computers with Ubuntu pre-installed - Linux on the up?

,----[ Quote ]
| Tesco is the world's third largest grocery retailer, and also sells
| everything from clothes to electrical equipment.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2007/10/21/tesco-sell-computers-with-ubuntu-pre-installed-linux-on-the-up/