[News] The Fallacy That Linux is an Operating System (Rather Than World's Leading Platform)

  • Subject: [News] The Fallacy That Linux is an Operating System (Rather Than World's Leading Platform)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:49:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GNU or Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| The GNU/Linux name is possibly the most controversial and most misunderstood
| issue surrounding Linux. David Chisnall looks at the reasoning for the name
| and asks whether it's justified.
|
| No other system has experienced so much controversy over its name. A great
| many flame wars have erupted over the Free Software Foundation's suggestion
| that distributions such as Ubuntu and Fedora should be called GNU/Linux,
| rather than Linux. Are they just trying to take credit for other peoples'
| work, or is their argument valid?
`----

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1339466

Linux is not an OS

,----[ Quote ]
| One way that it could be claimed that Linux is not an operating system is by
| asserting that what we call "Linux" is in fact a name of the kernel, a core
| of the operating system, rather than an OS as a whole. Such assertions would
| usually come from the Free Software supporters who would quickly point out
| how the proper way to call this "OS" is as "GNU/Linux" because it is only
| after combining the Linux as a kernel with GNU as tools that the operating
| system actually is capable of operating usefully.
|
| [...]
|
| I have no faith at all in the Linux unification cause as much as I don't have
| faith in command economies such as those in the soviet union. They never
| work.
|
| The sooner we stop dreaming about it probably the better. Instead of
| endlessly pushing for the impossible, each distribution should realize that
| they are a project of providing a unique operating system, not merely some
| sort of a "subset" of a larger OS, with all of the implied responsibilities
| and false obligations that come from that. They should focus on providing
| their own particular operating system experience, NOT the "Linux experience".
`----

http://www.nuxified.org/article/linux_not_os

Related:

LAMP Development - Backbone Of The World Wide Web

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/expertarticles/wpn-62-20070129LAMPDevelopmentBackboneoftheWorldWideWeb.html
http://tinyurl.com/ysxc52