[News] Copyright Cartel Attacks with Lawyers, DRM Tries to Sneak in Also

‘New’ Anti-Piracy Lawyers Chase UK File-Sharers

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last couple of years everyone has got used to hearing about UK
| lawyers Davenport Lyons and their campaigns against those it accuses of
| illicit file-sharing. Now everyone will have to get used to a new player -
| they’re called ACS Law and the similarities to Davenport are raising more
| than a few eyebrows.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/new-anti-piracy-lawyers-chase-uk-file-sharers-090508/

Is Lala's DRM a new way to lock up music?

,----[ Quote ]
| Robertson--the controversial founder of MP3.com, Linspire, and
| MP3tunes.com--has accused Lala of attempting to transfer control of its
| users' music to the recording labels.
|
| Robertson claimed last month on his personal blog that Lala had developed
| an "insidious new plot" to entice its users to upload music to the company's
| servers and then trap the music there by embedding digital rights management
| into the servers. This would enable Lala and the big music labels to exercise
| greater control over the tunes. He compared Lala's plan with a "roach motel,"
| where songs check in but they can't check out.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10236302-93.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1

Recent:

EU tells music and film industry to sod off

,----[ Quote ]
| The EU assembly voted 407 to 57 to throw out a compromise reached by EU
| governments that would have allowed France to cut off Internet access to
| people accused of downloading illegal copies of movies or music.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137036/eu-tells-music-film-industry-sod

European Parliament dirty trick on Internet vote

,----[ Quote ]
| A key new amendment  enshrining the operator's right to block Internet
| content will not be voted on. It is tucked into the "compromise" document,
| which will be voted as a block.This appears to be a breach of procedure and
| should be seriously questioned.
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=334&Itemid=9

Biden to MPAA: you'll like Obama's pick for copyright czar

,----[ Quote ]
| The Obama administration's stance on copyright enforcement has already
| attracted an open letter in which a variety of public advocacy groups voiced
| concerns that there seemed to be a bias towards content owners in the initial
| round of appointments. Those worries are unlikely to go away any time soon,
| if this week's events are any indication. The Motion Picture Association of
| America came to town, armed with lobbyists and figures that suggest it
| functions as a one-industry, nationwide job stimulus, and it heard exactly
| what it was looking for from Vice President Biden.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/04/biden-to-mpaa-youll-like-obamas-copyright-pick.ars

Joe Biden promises a blank check to the entertainment cartel

,----[ Quote ]
| VP Joe Biden stood up in front of a bunch of Hollywood execs and promised to
| appoint a copyright czar, and furthermore, that this would be the "right"
| person to protect their interests. I would have voted Dem in the last
| election, if I got a vote, but make no mistakes: the Dems are the party of
| stupid copyright laws.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/22/joe-biden-promises-a.html

Administration Lobbyist Ban Not Doing What It's Supposed To Do

,----[ Quote ]
| We've already seen how the Justice Department is, for example, being filled
| with lawyers who regularly worked with the RIAA, MPAA and BSA -- three of the
| biggest copyright lobbying organizations, and those individuals have wasted
| no time in expressing their desire to continue pushing those industry's
| viewpoints in their new positions.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090422/0419234608.shtml

RIAA Brief Attacks Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| In their proposed response, the RIAA lawyers personally attacked The Free
| Software Foundation, Ray Beckerman (NewYorkCountryLawyer), and NYCL's
| blog, 'Recording Industry vs. The People'. The 9-page response (PDF) — 4
| pages longer than the document to which it was responding — termed the FSF an
| organization 'dedicated to eliminating restrictions on copying,
| redistribution, and modifying computer programs', and accused the FSF of
| having an 'open and virulent bias against copyrights' and 'blatant bias'
| against the record companies.
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/21/2041241&from=rss

Copyright debate heats up over Obama appointments

,----[ Quote ]
| The president has, in fact, filled out some high-level Justice Department
| positions with lawyers favored by the copyright industry, including attorneys
| who have represented the Recording Industry Association of America and the
| Business Software Alliance. The signatories of the April 2 letter said the
| Justice Department's intervention last month in favor of a record label in a
| file-sharing case heightens their concern.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10223549-38.html

Biden promises 'right person' as new U.S. copyright czar

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's pure theft, stolen from the artists and quite frankly from the American
| people as consequence of loss of jobs and as a consequence of loss of
| income," Biden said, according to a White House pool report.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10224689-38.html

MPAA reaches out to lawmakers

,----[ Quote ]
| The occasion: the second biennial summit sponsored by the industry's chief
| lobbying arm, the Motion Picture Assn. of America.
`----

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002688.html?categoryId=18&cs=1

I got you, babe

,----[ Quote ]
| Obama is whistling the music industry's tune
`----

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/15/i-got-you-babe-obama-is-whistling-the-music-indust/

Obama Taps 5th RIAA Lawyer to Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| President Barack Obama is tapping another RIAA attorney into the Justice
| Department.
|
| Monday's naming of Ian Gershengorn, to become the department's deputy
| assistant attorney of the Civil Division, comes more than a week after nearly
| two-dozen public interest groups, trade pacts and library coalitions urged
| the new president to quit filling his administration with lawyers plucked
| from the Recording Industry Association of America.
|
| The move makes it five RIAA lawyers Obama has appointed to the Justice
| Department.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/04/obama-taps-fift.html

Obama administration sides with RIAA in P2P suit

,----[ Quote ]
| The Obama administration has sided with the recording industry in a copyright
| lawsuit against an alleged peer-to-peer pirate, a move that echoes arguments
| previously made by the Bush administration.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10201831-38.html

Obama Sides With RIAA, Supports $150,000 Fine per Music Track

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/03/obama-sides-wit.html

U.S. Sides with RIAA in Filesharing Case

http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/legal_blog_watch/2009/03/us-sides-with-riaa-in-filesharing-case.html

Obama Administration Claims Copyright Treaty Involves State Secrets?!?

,----[ Quote ]
| When the Obama administration took over, there was a public stance that this
| administration was going to be more transparent -- especially with regards to
| things like Freedom of Information Act requests. The nonprofit group
| Knowledge Ecology International took that to heart and filed an FOIA request
| to get more info on ACTA. The US Trade Representative's Office responded
| denying the request, saying that the information was "classified in the
| interest of national security pursuant to Executive Order 12958." This is a
| treaty about changing copyright law, not sending missiles somewhere. To claim
| that it's a national security matter is just downright scary. As KEI points
| out, the text of the documents requested have been available to tons of
| people, including more than 30 governments around the world and lobbyists
| from the entertainment industry, pharma industry and publishing industry.

Obama names Doerr, Phillips to economic board

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10158505-38.html