[News] Lots on Free Software and Philosophy

On Libraries: Every Open Source Developer Is Both An Author And A Librarian

,----[ Quote ]
| I am running for election to the Board of Directors of the Library in
| Chappaqua, New York, where I have lived for almost twenty-two years.
|
| I will carry out my campaign mainly via this blog. I have written many posts
| in the past about libraries and librarians, and will try to focus on this
| topic for at least the next few days.
`----

http://daveshields.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/on-libraries-every-open-source-developer-is-both-an-author-and-a-librarian/

The Open Source Philosophy

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Source Definition arose out of the ambiguity of the word "free"
| in "Free Software," as defined by the Free Software Foundation." In the
| English language, "free" is a loaded term that has two meanings: "freedom",
| and "costing nothing." It was created to get rid of some of the emotional
| baggage that came with the intense philosophical point of view of the FSF,
| but just because the OSD is more "business-friendly" does not mean that it
| doesn't have the philosophy and intent of openness behind it.
`----

http://www.raccoonfink.com/2009/05/the-open-source-philosophy.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the_open_source_philosophy

The Open Source Philosophy (Continued)

,----[ Quote ]
| That said, that philosophy drives me to support the companies that I think
| are doing it "right." I work for OpenNMS not just because I think the
| software's great, but also because I love that we can compete with "the big
| guys" by having a better community.
`----

http://www.raccoonfink.com/2009/05/the-open-source-philosophy-continued.html

How do open source projects develop?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am sure you all know that the open source model is vastly different to the
| closed source model. Sure there are many similarities, especially for large
| projects, however there are very important differences. The main one being
| that the source code is open to all :)
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/how-do-open-source-projects-develop-31564

Related: