[News] Window Managers/Desktop Environments Tour: Openbox, Window Maker, and KDE

  • Subject: [News] Window Managers/Desktop Environments Tour: Openbox, Window Maker, and KDE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 00:10:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How I became an Openbox fanatic

,----[ Quote ]
| Prior to buying my new eee pc, I thought I'd finally gotten the ol' Linux
| thing figured out. I liked having a desktop chock full of bells and whistles
| and visual effects and nautilus-integrated apps. I used Mint with the AWN
| dock and a truckload of Compiz Fusion effects on my enormous,
| relatively-powerful laptop, and it did every single thing I could think of
| for it to do.
`----

http://jonnydover.com/content/how-i-became-openbox-fanatic

Get to know Linux: Window Maker

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing with our introduction to old-school Linux window managers, I would
| like to bring to you Window Maker. The Window Maker window manager was
| designed to look and feel like the old NeXT GUI (which was spearheaded by
| Steve Jobs after he was forced out of Apple.) Window Maker is another entry
| in the long list of lightweight, snappy window managers that can bring new
| life to old computers. Window Maker is a very stable desktop for the Linux
| operating system and is often considered one of the most universal and useful
| window managers available.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/05/07/get-to-know-linux-window-maker/

How to Get The Most Out Of KDE4’s Folderview Widget

,----[ Quote ]
| The uses and features of Folderview are only limited by the uses and features
| of KDE. As KDE 4 continues to mature, Folderview will continue to grow into a
| useful and powerful desktop tool.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/get-the-most-out-of-kde4s-folderview-widget/2009/05/08

Recent:

X Window Managers Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| In part 1 of the series we looked at the early X window managers that ran on
| X display protocol based systems. The scale and range of them was from the
| very beginning where a user was presented with a menu and windows and little
| else (perhaps a clock or loadmeter) up to what could be considered the first
| window manager that went beyond providing the basics to providing more of an
| environment and extensibility through modules that allowed other hackers
| to "join in the fun". In this part 2 of the series two more distinct groups
| of window managers will be peeked at; first a look at the evolution of that
| first "more of an environment than just window managing" software; many of
| which cropped up right around the same time (within a few years of
| eachother). Second the kickback against large scale environments with an
| examination of a breed of window managers designed to be ultra light/fast
| while still preserving good looks.
`----

http://systhread.net/texts/200904xvishist2.php

The Window Manager Dilemma

,----[ Quote ]
| That angle is the dilemma we have with the wide array of existing Linux (and
| BSD) window managers.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=506

21 of the Best Free Linux Window Managers

,----[ Quote ]
| An X Window manager is software that manages the windows that applications
| bring up. For example, when you start an application, there will be a window
| manager running in the background, responsible for the placement and
| appearance of windows.
|
| It is important not to confuse a window manager with a desktop environment. A
| desktop environment typically consists of icons, windows, toolbars, folders,
| wallpapers, and desktop widgets. They provide a collection of libraries and
| applications made to operate cohesively together. A desktop environment
| contains its own window manager.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20081209153125602/WindowManagers.html

All window managers are not equal in screen redraw speed.

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been going through a stage of trying several different window managers
| and I found something that surprised me. The screen redraw speed of different
| window managers have a visual difference in screen redraw speed.
|
| For an example I spent several days using openbox and enlightenment as the
| window manager for KDE and as the sole window manager with nothing else. On
| all of them I ran mythtv for watching television.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/all-window-managers-are-not-equal-in-screen-redraw-speed-28942

20 Most Nimble and Simple X Window Managers for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the best ways to speed up your Linux desktop is to utilize an
| ultra-lightweight window manager. To all speed-conscious techies, minimalist
| lovers, and to those who are still hoping to revive their ageing computer
| hardware, let me introduce you to the 20 most nimble and simple X window
| managers for Linux.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/20-most-nimble-and-simple-x-window.html

The Big X Window Manager Guide (with Screenshots)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.internetling.com/2008/07/16/the-big-x-window-manager-guide-with-screenshots/