[News] [Rival] Microsoft and Apple Are Kicking Out Their Own Developers

Microsoft blocks dirty dozen apps from mobile store

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to Microsoft's planned Marketplace for Mobile, you can forget
| about making or installing software that changes Microsoft's default browser,
| search client, or media player on a Windows mobile phone. Also out are VoIP
| calls on an operator's network and ads for carriers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/06/windows_marketplace_mobile_prohibited_apps/

Apple fine-tunes app censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple will extend parental controls to applications in its upcoming iPhone
| 3.0 software and iTunes 8.2, thus helping to calm some of the ongoing
| brouhaha over its erratic App Store censorship policies.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/06/age_ratings_for_iphone_apps/

Microsoft to forbid VoIP, rival stores at mobile market

,----[ Quote ]
| Voice-over-IP applications will be forbidden from Microsoft's Windows
| MarketPlace for Mobile store, along with programs that are larger than 10MB
| or that change the default browser on a device.
|
| They are among 12 prohibited application types that Microsoft listed for
| developers who register to create software for the store. Marketplace for
| Mobile is due to launch in the second half of the year, along with Windows
| Mobile 6.5, the next version of Microsoft's mobile OS.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-amp-wireless/67492/microsoft-forbid-voip-rival-stores-mobile-market

More deaths:

Duke Nukem developer goes bust

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran games developer 3D Realms has closed down because of a lack of funds.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/technology/8037688.stm

Recent:

Microsoft layoff buzz intensifies