[News] Debian Moves to EGLIBC and Linux Mint 7 Approaches Release

Debian changes from GLIBC to EGLIBC

,----[ Quote ]
| With a short message on his blog, Debian developer and maintainer Auréllian
| Jarno has announced a fundamental change in future Debian releases. The
| EGLIBC (Embedded GNU C Library), originally developed for embedded systems,
| is to replace GLIBC (GNU C Library).

Linux Mint 7 Release Candidate Is Here

,----[ Quote ]
| Clement Lefebvre and the community behind the Linux Mint project proudly
| announced last night on the official blog the immediate availability of the
| first release candidate of Linux Mint 7 (Gloria) operating system. This first
| RC is based on the recently released Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) and it is
| powered by Linux kernel 2.6.28. The good news is that the 7th release of
| Linux Mint will include a brand new artwork, updated applications and many,
| many new breathtaking features. Don't forget to check out, later tonight, our
| first look at the new Linux Mint 7 operating system.

Why do I like Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| Each distro has it's own appeal to different people. I am not going to make a
| judgment on any distro in this article. Just saying why I Like Debian so
| much.
| I like other distros for other reasons and maybe I'll explain those sometime
| in the future. Maybe not.
| All I can say is give me a Debian netinstall disk or a base livecd and I'm a
| happy camper.
| For me, it just doesn't get better than that.

Debian 5.0 Continues Strong Linux Tradition

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 5 of the Debian GNU/Linux open-source operating system offers the
| same top management tools and processor support that previous versions of the
| Linux operating system have. There also are a host of updates to open-source
| components, and the Linux distribution is still a great fit for servers and a
| solid desktop choice. However, the top reason for upgrading from version 4
| may be the relatively short three-year security fix window, less than the
| coverage time offered with Ubuntu and Red Hat Enterprise Linux-derived
| CentOS.

Debian Lenny: Returning Home to the Mothership

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenny looks and works just fine on my system, and it is noticeably peppier.
| Maybe that's from using the nv driver; whatever it is, screen redraws and
| moving windows do not have the lag that Kubuntu and Ubuntu do, and scrolling
| Web pages is smoother and faster.

Lenny lights up an old laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Debian Linux project officially designating “Lenny” as its
| new “stable” distribution, I decided to install it on an old Thinkpad to see
| how well it performs on a low-end machine. Without doubt, the results
| surpassed my wildest expectations!

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 codename Lenny

,----[ Quote ]
| Long-awaited “Lenny” has finally been out! After 22 months of development,
| Debian development team announced the official release of Debian GNU/Linux
| 5.0 on 14th of February as planned (well, at least in American Samoa, which
| happens to be located in UTC-11.) and the very same day I installed and
| tested it on my laptop.

Debian Lenny Mini Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Having always been a Debian person at heart, I eagerly awaited the latest
| Debian version to hit the mirrors. When Lenny was released, I downloaded the
| DVD ISO through torrent and installed it.

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea of a "universal operating system" that runs on just about any piece
| of hardware on the planet and is 100% modifiable, redistributable, and free
| of charge is a good one.

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0: Flexible and (Almost) Free

Debian 5.0 With LXDE: It's Your Grandad On Skates!