[News] Skype an Excellent Lesson in Dangers of Proprietary Software and Ugliness of Software Patents

  • Subject: [News] Skype an Excellent Lesson in Dangers of Proprietary Software and Ugliness of Software Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 20:19:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Skype shutdown: where are free software and free protocols?

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software is definitely going strong in some areas, especially in the
| server market. However, there are other areas where free software and free
| protocols have failed. Internet based voice and video communication is one of
| those areas. The market is basically fully owned by Skype, a piece of
| proprietary software based on a proprietary (and abusive) protocol in the
| hands the same company that runs eBay. Free software advocates have been
| saying âwhat if Skype was discontinued?â for years. Then I read about eBay
| considering shutting Skype down. Pardon?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/skype_shutdown_where_are_free_software_and_free_protocols

Net2Phone Jumps Into The VoIP Patent Lawsuit Business: Sues Skype

,----[ Quote ]
| In the last year, we've witnessed plenty of companies dig up VoIP patents
| with which to sue market innovator Vonage. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and Nortel
| all were able to get Vonage to cough up some money, rather than continue to
| fight some questionable patents.

Skype As We Know It May Not Exist Much Longer, eBay Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Joltid, a company owned by Skype's founders, merely licensed some of the
| system's core technology to eBay when it sold Skype to the auction giant in
| 2005. Joltid now says that the license has been revoked and eBay is
| infringing on its rights by continuing to use the technology. The case is
| scheduled to go to court in June of 2010 but eBay is trying to replace the
| technology in the meantime. It may not succeed.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/skype_as_we_know_it_may_not_exist_much_longer_ebay.php

Skype Founders Claim eBay No Longer Has A Right To Skype's Core Tech

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090730/1950195721.shtml

Licensing dispute could scupper Skype

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1495813/licensing-dispute-scupper-skype

QUARTERLY REPORT ON FORM 10-Q

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1065088/000119312509157212/d10q.htm";

Spinvox Tries To Patent Dictation?

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090731/0301435724.shtml

Method of providing voicemails to a wireless information device

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1="20060223502".PGNR.&OS=DN/20060223502&RS=DN/20060223502

Recent:

Russian Telcos: Skype Is Hurting Our Business And Must Be Stopped

,----[ Quote ]
| Over in Russia, for example, it appears that a bunch of telco execs are
| complaining about Skype. They at least try to pass off a plausible
| non-save-our-asses reason: mentioning security, but they don't do a very good
| job hiding the truth.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090726/0349145659.shtml

Why eBay Should Open-Source Skype