Re: [News] Red Hat in the MSBBC, Academia

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:31:36 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> "Tony(UK)" <tony_smith100@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:40:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Is free the new pay?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> away for | free.

>>> Entrepreneur of | the Year.

>>> free, | open source software; computer programs and applications that
>>> anyone can | download.
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8178929.stm
>>
>> I think it strange that the BBC chose this angle, rather than Mark
>> Shuttleworth and Ubuntu. The episode of the weekly BBC Click technology
>> broadcast that featured Ubuntu was very shallow and I got the feeling
>> that they portrayed Mark Shuttleworth as slightly eccentric for
>> actually giving things away.
>>
>> However on closer examination, the article is angled at the business
>> user, rather than the home user.
>>
>> I do observe that the BBC (which *always* seems to favour Microsoft,
>> come what may) to be in rather a technology turmoil at the moment. Many
>> people
>
> The BBC only favours MS in that about 90 odd % of its watchers use their
> products. So is life.
>

>> within the Beeb quite openly support and use FOSS and Linux, but their
>> attempts to report impartially within the confines to which they are
>> placed by their peers mean that some of the articles and broadcasts
>> seem strangely /impartial/, and leave any open-minded 'customer'
>> slightly confused as to what they are actually trying to say. I do get
>> a strong
>
> Like your comment above Tony :-; ? What confusing reports are you
> referring to. BTW, just to warn you I read just about everything (new)
> on the BBC web site each morning including all the technical pages.

Whoop..y-doo.. so you think that a website and a broadcasting and media
company are the same, do you? I actually read loads too - and some of it
bears no relevance whatsoever as to what is /actually/ happening. But if
your fine with what you read - that's up to you. What a balanced [sic]
world you must live in.

>> hint of incredibility, and even some sarcasm, finding it's way into
>> their offerings at present. The ageing dinosaur that is the BBC seems
>> very reluctant to evolve, and we all know what happened to them...
>
> Huh? For a start they have far and away the best news web site out
> there. They have provided online content etc etc. But dont let the truth
> get in the way of your little rant ..

Was I talking about the BBC web site? Er, no, I was talking about BBC
output - TV, Radio and articles...based on opinions and comments by
people who actually work there. But there again, you will only call me a
liar, so I'll hold my breath.

You saw the edition of BBC Click about Ubuntu then? Tell me, what did
*you* think of it? Was it a true account?

What about the episode mentioning ChromeOS? Was that unbiased reporting?

You read all the *news* on the BBC website? I'll bet you never saw about
the call by contributors to the BBC weather centre calling for the
disbanding of the Met Office then? I wonder how that slipped past you
then?

The BBC has one of the best "news" sites out there - and like all modern
media, they tell you all the "news" they want you to read, accompanied
with their flavour of the day, coloured by what the companies' remit is
at the time. You do seem to omit that the BBC is a state funded
corporation, and is influenced by many different forces, including
opinions of the people who pay their licence fee.

Please take your comments and "warnings" somewhere else, and don't try to
tell me I don't know what I am talking about - you obviously know nothing
about modern journalism in the real world.

I'll tell you what - you find out what the mood is of the journalists and
employees really is at the Beeb, then you may be qualified to comment on
my 'little rant'. 'Till then, you keep your obvious dislike of the human
race to yourself, and I'll keep my own council.

You come across as a bitter little man trying to impress God knows who
about Heaven knows what - congratulations for that.