[News] Google's On2 Acquisition Seen as Move Against Video Patents

Is Google's open-source advocacy a patent-busting scheme?

,----[ Quote ]
| If true, The Register's question--"Is Google spending $106.5m to open source
| a codec?"--calls up a different response than the author of that article
| gives. Maybe $106 million is cheap compared to the cost of getting hit with
| video compression patent suits (from Microsoft, Apple, and others), if Google
| open source's On2's video compression codecs.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10304724-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Google Chrome gets skins and JavaScript performance boost

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/08/googles-chrome-gets-skins-and-javascript-performance-boost.ars

Is Google spending $106.5m to open source a codec?

,----[ Quote ]
| As is typical of Googlespeak, this tells us close to nothing. But if you also
| consider the company's so far fruitless efforts to push through a video tag
| for HTML 5 - the still gestating update to the web's hypertext markup
| language - the On2 acquisition looks an awful lot like an effort to solve
| this browser-maker impasse.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/google_vp6_open_source/

Google's On2 Acquisition: Part of its Open Web Video Standards Effort?

http://ostatic.com/blog/googles-on2-acquisition-part-of-its-open-web-video-standards-effort

Google may take aim at Web video standards with On2 purchase

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/08/google-may-take-aim-at-web-video-standards-with-on2-purchase.ars

Can Anyone make the White House streaming work?

,----[ Quote ]
| I go to the url for the White House meeting going on right now, and nothing I
| own will do the live streaming. I can get the text running at the bottom, but
| no video. Can you guys figure out if it is possible? If it's just me, that's
| one thing. But if it is everyone who isn't using Microsoft products, that is
| something else.

Firefox in Context

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozillaâs mission is to build choice, innovation, participation and
| opportunity into the ways people interact with the Internet. The centerpiece
| is Firefox, because the browser is the lens through which people see and
| touch the Internet. Over time, people are doing an ever broader set of
| activities with the Internet. What does this mean for how we think about
| Firefox? Hereâs what I see.
`----

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/06/24/firefox-in-context/

Firefox 3.5 RC3 Coming Right Up

,----[ Quote ]
| The third Release Candidate build for Firefox 3.5 is on its way. Mozilla
| repeatedly stressed during the development process of the next iteration of
| its open source browser that it was aiming to produce a single RC for Firefox
| 3.5. And fact is that it came extremely close to doing so.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Firefox-3-5-RC3-Coming-Right-Up-115032.shtml

Everything you need to know about Firefox 3.5

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla recently released the second release candidate of Firefox 3.5 and is
| due to launch the final version before the end of the month. Here's your
| one-stop guide to the key new features in the latest version.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/everything-you-need-to-know-about-firefox-3-5-610315

Firefox 3.5 RC Review

,----[ Quote ]
| With Google's Chrome 2.0 speeded up after dropping its beta and Opera 10 beta
| claiming a better browsing speed, all eyes are on Mozilla's new Firefox
| version hyped to touch Amazing feats of speed. Last Friday Mozilla issued the
| new browser's first release candidate. It seems to be the most stable and
| polished make after the year-long development process. Firefox 3.5 Release
| Candidate (RC) was the first milestone following the beta 4 released in late
| April.
`----

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/firefox-35-rc-review/

IE is like malaria, says Mozilla VP

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla's VIP of engineering has again likened Internet Explorer to malaria,
| insisting that although a lot of people have it, most of them wouldn't
| actively choose it.
|
| In a lengthy discussion about the forthcoming Firefox 3.5, Mike Shaver
| explains that he finds a resurgent browser division at Microsoft a
| compliment, and insists that all he wants is a fair fight â where browser
| choice is about suitability and choice and not defaults.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/ie-is-like-malaria-says-mozilla-vp-609930

First results of Electrolysis, multi-process Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago, Mozilla announced Electrolysis, a new project that aims to
| make Firefox a multi-process application, with separate processes for the
| user interface (chrome), each tab, and plugins, in order to provide higher
| stability as a a problem with a plugin or a certain web page wouldnât bring
| down the whole session; higher performace, as todayâs multi-core processors
| can handle multiple tasks at a time; and stronger security, as each could run
| on different security contexts.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/06/first-results-of-electrolysis-multi-process-firefox/

Firefox 3.5: What's in a Number?

,----[ Quote ]
| I had an interesting chat this morning with Mike Shaver, VP, Engineering at
| Mozilla, about the imminent Firefox 3.5. Its launch takes place against a
| background where Firefox continues to make gains in the browser market,
| passing the 50% share in some European countries, and where it has created an
| unparalleled ecosystem of addons that places it at the forefront of the
| browser world in terms of capability and customisability.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2281&blogid=14

Firefox 3.5 RC2: A Quick First Look

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla today released Firefox 3.5 Release Candidate 2, which you can
| download from Mozilla's Web site. Release Candidate 2 is the first version of
| Firefox 3.5 that average users might want to run, since it's faster and more
| stable than the beta versions were. Firefox 3.5 boasts a number of
| significant changes--ranging from new ways to work with the browser features
| to under-the-hood improvements that Mozilla developers say will make the
| browser more than twice as fast as Firefox 3. Here are some of the new
| features you'll find in Firefox 3.5.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167065/firefox_35_rc2_a_quick_first_look.html

Deactivate Location-Aware Browsing in Firefox 3.5

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1672/deactivate-location-aware-browsing-in-firefox-3.5/

new firefox logos

,----[ Quote ]
| If you blog or write articles about Firefox and your blog or publication
| usually includes a Firefox logo with those stories, please take a moment to
| head over to the Mozilla Firefox Logos page and get updated artwork.
`----

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2009/06/new_firefox_log.html

Mozilla pushes Firefox 3.5 RC to beta testers

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've been using the Firefox 3.5 beta, you now get to upgrade to the
| release candidate for Firefox 3.5.
`----

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10266839-12.html

Firefox 3.5 RC1 emerges