[News] [Rival] Microsoft Says Goodbye to Another 2,000+ Employees

Publicis to Buy Microsoft's Razorfish

,----[ Quote ]
| French advertising company Publicis Groupe SA has agreed to acquire Microsoft
| Corp.'s digital ad firm, Razorfish, in an effort to grab more of the ad
| dollars that are flowing to the Web.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124982318328817501.html

Microsoft is shrinking fast. Maybe faster than SCO. It becomes risky to buy
Microsoft.

Recent:

Microsoft layoff details emerge

,----[ Quote ]
| More details are emerging today about the Microsoft groups affected, and
| spared, in the company's latest round of job cuts. The company isn't going
| into detail, but blogs and forums are providing plenty of evidence. Layoffs
| are reported to have taken place in groups including MSN Direct, the Massive
| in-game advertising unit, and MSDN Magazine, among others.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Microsoft_layoff_details_emerge_44481927.html

Microsoft crimps products after second wave of job cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is reining in several of its products following the company's
| second round of lay-offs that kicked off on Tuesday.
|
| [...]
|
| Similarly, MSN Direct - which provides weather, traffic and other services to
| devices such as in-car map systems - is also under review.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/05/07/microsoft_products_scaled_back/

Report: Microsoft Guts In-Game Advertising Unit In Layoffs

,----[ Quote ]
| Roughly seventy-five percent of the staff at Microsoftâs Massive in-game
| advertising unit was laid off in Tuesdayâs round of job cuts, according to
| VentureBeat.
`----

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-report-microsoft-guts-in-game-advertising-unit-in-layoffs/

Microsoftâs Massive in-game ad business takes hits among 3,000 overall layoffs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft announced a new round of layoffs today as it struggles to right
| itself after reporting tepid results last month. Weâve learned that Massive,
| the companyâs in-game advertising business, suffered something like 75
| percent layoffs.
`----

http://venturebeat.com/2009/05/05/microsofts-massive-in-game-ad-business-takes-hits-in-layoffs/

Microsoft rumours confirmed

,----[ Quote ]
| Industry rumours were set to rest when Microsoft confirmed a number of
| changes to its staffing.
|
| According to Microsoft the restructure will affect a small, but unspecified,
| number of jobs and is part of the efficiency drive announced by Chief
| Executive, Steve Ballmer earlier this year. It follows job cuts that occurred
| earlier this month.
|
| A Microsoft spokesperson said: âAs part of this effort, we are making some
| changes in New Zealand.â
`----

http://www.thechannel.co.nz/20090527918/microsoft-rumours-confirmed.php

Microsoft Loses NZ Government Windows Deal

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-article/20034/microsoft-loses-nz-government-windows-deal

New Zealand cancels Microsoft talks

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39656668,00.htm

Kiwis turn down Microsoft.

http://www.gaj-it.com/10047/kiwis-turn-down-microsoft/

Kiwis give Microsoft the finger

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25274/1090/

Are there more layoffs in Microsoft's future?

,----[ Quote ]
| That inaudible clause, according to my notes, was âI donât see any potential
| for us to lower our expenses for the rest of this year.â
|
| So does all that mumbo-jumbo translate to no more layoffs? Probably â at
| least for the rest of this calendar year. But not definitivelyâ.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3491

Microsoft profits down by a third