[News] Encyclopedia Britannica Resorts to Patents, Like Other Dying Entities (SCOpyright, MicroSCOft)

  • Subject: [News] Encyclopedia Britannica Resorts to Patents, Like Other Dying Entities (SCOpyright, MicroSCOft)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:50:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Encyclopedia Britannica loses patent ruling

,----[ Quote ]
| A notorious patent case about a technology that allows people to search
| multimedia content may finally be coming to a close.
|
| Earlier this week, a judge ruled that two patents initially awarded to
| Encyclopedia Britannica are invalid. The patents were built on the infamous
| 5,241,671 patent first unveiled by Compton's NewMedia in 1993 at the Comdex
| trade show.
`----

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/314259/encyclopedia_britannica_loses_patent_ruling

Encyclopaedia Britannica Loses Patent Battle... Yet Again

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090810/0312265822.shtml

Recent:

Encyclopaedia Britannica Fails In Attempt To Revive Infamous Multimedia Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, we pointed out how rather ironic it seemed that a company like
| Encyclopaedia Britannica, who is supposed to be in the business of spreading
| knowledge, would sue GPS makers for patent infringement. However, at the
| time, we were unaware of the history of the patents in question. Joe Mullin,
| over at The Prior Art, has the full story, including the fact that the case
| relied on a rather infamous patent, that gave many folks a preview of future
| patent battles to come.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081109/1511332778.shtml

Wikipedia's Five-Year Growth Figure Almost 8,000 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/05/14/wikipedias-five-year-growth-figure-almost-8000-percent