[News] Why Business with Free Software Trumps the Old Model

Building a business selling open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, provided that open-source companies can fill the revenue hole
| with premium features or some other value-added service that compels payment,
| then the other advantages of open source trump that of proprietary products.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10307348-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

On Open Source, the Services Model, and Long-Term Software Quality

,----[ Quote ]
| That's why I think my conversation with my friend will come full circle in
| the long run. He doesn't see open source platforms as all that competitive
| right now, but he likes the Red Hat model. The catch is, though, that the Red
| Hat model focused on service and support ends being a rising tide that lifts
| many boats--where the quality of the software directly benefits.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/on-open-source-the-services-model-and-long-term-software-quality

Recent:

Microsoft admits the obvious but not the truth

,----[ Quote ]
| By contrast Linux is modular. A Linux client, whether a netbook or an Android
| phone, needs to run only those modules necessary to the function it is
| performing at that moment. Over time open source is just cheaper to support.
| And by linking clients to the cloud you centralize that support load, even
| monetize it.
|
| So you have competitors who can live on less food than you need, hardware
| evolving toward forms that must find a lower-cost form of support, and a
| possible breakthrough in business models that you canât seem to touch.
|
| The truth is that Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft itself, have become
| dinosaurs in a mammalian world. To compete Microsoft must evolve.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4604

Microsoft Admits That Linux Desktop Elephant Exists

,----[ Quote ]
| It's no secret that Linux has had a major impact on Microsoft's server
| business, but Microsoft hasn't said much about the potential effects of
| desktop Linux. That changed recently when Microsoft admitted that Linux on
| desktops and notebooks poses competitive threats to its Windows client
| business.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/219100164;jsessionid=HPDZGBQ0ZEVM3QE1GHRSKHWATMY32JVN

Open source alternatives invade Microsoft's competitor list

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/080509-microsoft-open-source.html

Microsoft acknowledges competition from Canonical and Red Hat

http://www.h-online.com/open/Microsoft-acknowledges-competition-from-Canonical-and-Red-Hat--/news/113935

Microsoft Hit by Open Source and Lawmakers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Microsoft-Hit-by-Open-Source-and-Lawmakers