[News] New Debates About Businesses Formed Around Free Software

KnowledgeTree Takes Root in New ECM Markets

,----[ Quote ]
| Entering the ECM market with an open source product gave Chalef a leg up. The
| ECM world of documents and files has few open source options in it, according
| to Alan Pelz-Sharpe, analyst at CMS Watch.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/KnowledgeTree-Takes-Root-in-New-ECM-Markets-67861.html

The patron model of open source commericalisation

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, while the companyâs web content management software is not open
| source, Day Software makes use of and contributes to a number of community
| open source projects, such as Apache Jackrabbit, Apache Sling, and Apache
| Felix. In fact, as the company notes: âin total, Day Software contributes to
| over 12 Apache projects and 25 open source projects. www.ohloh.org, an
| independent website that tracks open source contributions, shows that over
| 75% of Day engineers are active committers to open source projects.â
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/08/13/the-patron-model-of-open-source-commericalisation/

Talk Slides: The Commercial Open Source Business Model

http://dirkriehle.com/2009/08/07/talk-slides-the-commercial-open-source-business-model/

Recent:

Interview with Daniel Chalef of KnowledgeTree

,----[ Quote ]
| I realise that the community tends not to competeâ but I still have to ask:
| what if it does? How would you react if somebody starts providing the
| features you charge for, and releases them under the GPL?
|
| We would be inclined to further differentiate the commercial product by
| adding features and/or support options. We might learn from how the community
| implements the functionality (which might take a different approach to the
| original) and customers and community get a better product.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/interview_daniel_chalef_knowledgetree

KnowledgeTree Updates Open Source ECM, Adds Key Enterprise Features

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source solutions seem to be in high demand in this down economy. So what
| do open source enterprise content management providers do to meet this
| demand? They add new features and functionality of course. At least that is
| what KnowledgeTree (news, site) has done.
`----

http://www.cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-cms/knowledgetree-updates-open-source-ecm-adds-key-enterprise-features-004797.php

Related:

KnowledgeTree business model hits many a niche

,----[ Quote ]
| The KnowledgeTree Community Edition, licensed under the GNU GPLv3, is
| available as a free download.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/133152

KnowledgeTree co-founders explain their commercial open source business
strategy (video)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/132706