[News] Founder of Netscape to Create a Web Browser

Netscape Founder Backs New Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Andreessen appears to want a rematch. Now a prominent Silicon Valley
| financier, Mr. Andreessen is backing a start-up called RockMelt, staffed with
| some of his close associates, that is building a new Internet browser,
| according to people with knowledge of his investment.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/14/technology/internet/14browser.html?_r=1

Report: Andressen Invests in Browser Startup RockMelt

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/170233/report_andressen_invests_in_browser_startup_rockmelt.html

Is Chrome OS Too Orwellian Or Big Brother-ish?

,----[ Quote ]
| Weâve talked and complained about Google on many other occasions within this
| blog, but with many discussions of Google also comes discussions of privacy,
| and the fact that Google aims to distribute an operating system should be no
| different - that is to say, not only is Google open to almost everything we
| do on the Internet, but the giant will also be the only thing sitting between
| users and hardware with Chrome OS.
`----

http://thecoffeedesk.com/news/index.php/2009/08/13/chrome-os-big-brother/

Recent:

Web browsers battle at festival

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr Lie said Microsoft's platform dominance gave them an "obligation to
| promote competition".
|
| His company has already complained to the EU that Microsoft is using its
| dominance to promote Internet Explorer over Opera and other browsers. And
| Google has lent its support to the complaint.
|
| Mr Lie said he was concerned that Microsoft would use its Windows Software
| Update System to distribute the forthcoming new version of Internet Explorer
| to users.
|
| "That system should be used for other browsers too, to ensure users have
| genuine choice.

Opera CEO von Tetzchner: Microsoft's IE8 'turn-off' is not enough

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the weekend, Microsoft revealed that in its latest private beta build of
| Windows 7, it will allow users to uninstall the Internet Explorer 8 Web
| browser front end -- a choice it has never offered to consumers since version
| 3.0. The fact that since 1996, the presence of IE in Windows was elevated to
| such an extent that users could not completely uninstall it, nor could they
| ever entirely avoid it, has been credited by many as the real reason for
| Microsoft being perceived as having won the browser war against Netscape.
|
| [...]
|
| Oslo, Norway-based Opera Software's stance against Microsoft on the topic of
| Web browser competition is very well known, especially after having filed an
| antitrust complaint against it in December 2007. Microsoft's latest move
| could give Opera a bit of a break. But as Opera CEO Jon S. von Tetzchner told
| Betanews this evening from overseas, he sees this move as a positive signal,
| but not anywhere close to a reparation for the years of damage he believes
| Internet Explorer has caused to the browser market, as well as to the Web as
| a whole.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Opera-CEO-von-Tetzchner-Microsofts-IE8-turnoff-is-not-enough/1236630337

Opera 9.60 Review - Awesomeness, Great Features and a Few Annoying Crashes

,----[ Quote ]
| I must say that I think Opera is doing a great job supporting its browser on
| Linux. Even though it's closed-source, it's still one of the most powerful
| web browsers out there, and each release comes with packages for every major
| distribution out there.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2008/10/opera-960-review-awesomeness-great.html

Opera 9.6 launches for Linux