[News] [Rival] GNU/Linux Works great on Sub-notebooks

Linux on Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| There are many reasons that this is news. Dell is the quintessential user
| computing device vendor. They have a well recognized brand and off and on,
| have courted Linux on the desktop. Linux has a lower acquisition cost for a
| hardware vendor -- and on a $300 computing device, there isn't a lot of
| margin.
|
| Barring all of that strategic schpew -- the fact is, my wife uses an Ubuntu
| laptop and seems to have taken to the netbook with a minimum of fuss. I use
| her viewpoint as an indicator of sorts. She doesn't hold much back in terms
| of criticism -- if it sucks I'm going to hear about it in short order. She's
| not a technology lightweight -- she uses facebook, email and web browsing as
| good or at a higher competency than all but my tightest technological
| contacts -- but she's not a programmer or IT type.
`----

http://fericyde.blogspot.com/2009/08/linux-on-netbooks.html

Dell Looks to Linux to Expand Netbook Presence

,----[ Quote ]
| In an effort to expand its Linux offerings, Dell is researching new
| netbook-type devices and will soon offer netbook Linux OS upgrades, a company
| official said on Wednesday.
|
| The company is researching the possibility of offering new Linux-based mobile
| devices called smartbooks, said Todd Finch, senior product marketing manager
| for Linux clients, at the OpenSourceWorld conference in San Francisco. The
| company will also upgrade its Ubuntu Linux OS for netbooks to the latest
| version in the next few weeks, he said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/170186/dell_looks_to_linux_to_expand_netbook_presence.html

Recent:

Microsoft Loses $435 Million in Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| According to current figures from Netbookdigest.com, Microsoft has lost
| $435,000,000 over the last year in netbook sales.
|
| While Microsoft has maintained about 90% of the desktop and notebook market,
| netbooks come in at only 70%. Part of the reason is Linux, but part is
| Microsoft itself.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/microsoft_loses_435_million_in_netbooks

The Netbook Effect: How Cheap Little Laptops Hit the Big Time

,----[ Quote ]
| The miserly constraints spurred her to be fiendishly resourceful. Instead of
| using a spinning hard drive she chose flash memoryâthe type in your USB thumb
| driveâbecause it draws very little juice and doesn't break when dropped. For
| software she picked Linux and other free, open source packages instead of
| paying for Microsoft's wares. She used an AMD Geode processor, which isn't
| very fast but requires less than a watt of power. And as the piÃce de
| rÃsistance, she devised an ingenious LCD panel that detects whether onscreen
| images are static (like when you're reading a document) and tells the main
| processor to shut down, saving precious electricity.

`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/magazine/17-03/mf_netbooks

Make your Ubuntu distro look like the Mini Mi

,----[ Quote ]
| The HP Mini MI netbook provides one of the slickest available Ubuntu GUIs.
| Hobbyists have now figured out how to install that pretty GUI on non-Mi
| platforms.
|
| [...]
|
| If you're a Ubuntu user and are considering giving the theme a spin, make
| sure to check out the entire thread. Installation and use are not as
| clear-cut as you might hope and there is a real risk involved, particularly
| for users who are not experienced with these kinds of mods. You may have to
| do a little clean-up work on Open Office and a few other packages. But as one
| poster writes, " I love this new look!" and you may too.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/02/make-your-ubuntu-distro-look-like-the-mini-mi.ars

Review: Dell Inspiron Mini 12

,----[ Quote ]
| The review model provided runs the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. This poses
| an interesting conundrum for many people because, although Linux avoids the
| extra cost of a Windows licence, it can be a daunting prospect for those who
| have never used it before.
|
| [...]
|
| Overall, the Mini 12 seems best suited to the type of worker who may move
| around a lot, but usually works in an environment that has access to power,
| for instance a sales executive who visits a lot of client sites, or a manager
| who spends a lot of time at remote or branch offices.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/hardware/2235950/review-dell-mini

Netbooks are a win for Microsoft? Think again.

,----[ Quote ]
| And given that price is the most important element of the netbook market, the
| moment Microsoft feels they've solidified their market share and being
| raising prices, their share will vaporize. ÂLinux's existence on netbooks
| will continue to create a loss for them, regardless of how much "market
| share" they have. ÂAnd the best part is, as people get used to Linux on the
| netbooks, they'll eventually want it on the desktop as well. ÂAnd that's
| something that Microsoft will do anything to avoid.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=521

Microsoft Leaves the Door Wide Open for Linux on Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 7 Starter Edition will also be made available to OEM's for
| installation on netbooks in all markets. This is presumably so that MS can
| finally end the sales of Windows XP to the netbook makers. I find it
| hilarious that Microsoft will offer such a limited, pathetic product for the
| netbook market. This will be a huge opportunity for the Linux community to
| educate the public about the plethora of free, feature complete Linux
| distributions available to run on their netbooks.
`----

http://linugadgetech.blogspot.com/2009/02/microsoft-leaves-door-wide-open-for.html

Cheap PCs Weigh on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]