[News] Gentoo Makes Good Media Centre and Gentoo Derivative Sabayon Linux 4.2 is Reviewed

  • Subject: [News] Gentoo Makes Good Media Centre and Gentoo Derivative Sabayon Linux 4.2 is Reviewed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:59:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gentoo Media Center

,----[ Quote ]
| As usual itâs not our intention to break the bank when building a media
| center. Now itâs true that you can purchase a number of beautiful cases and
| components to make your media pc blend in with the rest of the electronics
| that you may have in your home entertainment center but for myself I prefer
| to get some use of components that may not look the greatest but will simply
| do the job.
`----

http://www.securemind.org/v4/?p=467

Sabayon Linux 4.2 KDE Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Sabayon is a Gentoo Linux-based, multi-purpose distribution. Previous
| releases of Sabayon came in one huge DVD iso image with the option to install
| your favorite desktop. However, the latest release is available in iso images
| distinguished by desktop environments. For example, we have Sabayon 4.x KDE,
| Sabayon 4.x Gnome, etc. This review is based on Sabayon 4.2 KDE. A future
| review will focus on Sabayon 4.2 Gnome.
|
| [...]
|
| The installer is one of the best. If you choose to use Sabayon in Live CD/DVD
| mode, and then opt to install it on your PCâs hard drive, you still get the
| same full-featured installer.
`----

http://linuxbsdos.com/2009/08/15/sabayon-linux-4-2-kde-review/all/1/

Recent:

Sabayon Linux CoreCD 4.2 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| The CoreCD is a text-based release. There is no X-Server, Gnome, or KDE
| provided.
|
| Â Â Â The Feature list is intentionally short:
| Â Â * Bootable Image suitable for a CD or USB thumb drive (~400M)
| Â Â * Text-Based installer
| Â Â * Basic default networking
| Â Â * Entropy and Portage ready
`----

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/pages/show/id/88

Sabayon Linux Gnome 4.2 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Sabayon 4.2 will catch you: just the best of the Out-Of-The-Box, GNOME,
| multimedia applications and nothing more than what you need for your daily
| tasks, but what about your free time? Weâve got it. XBMC (formerly known as
| Xbox Media Center) 9.04 is what youâve ever wanted to build up a fantastic
| HTPC or Internet Multimedia Box, so whatâs better than having it ready to
| use? Show off the new Sabayon Linux to your friends, they have no more
| excuses to not try it!
`----

http://wgo.wolf911.us/?p=188

Sabayon 2009 Roadmap

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that we released both 4.1 Gnome and KDE, we started working on next
| releases of Sabayon.
`----

http://planet.sabayonlinux.org/?p=537

Sabayon Core Sneak Peak