[News] 'Pirates' from the Police Department 'Steal' from Poor Artists, Says MAFIAA

  • Subject: [News] 'Pirates' from the Police Department 'Steal' from Poor Artists, Says MAFIAA
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:21:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Police banned from listening to the radio

,----[ Quote ]
| POLICE officers in Hampshire have been banned from listening to the radio in
| their offices because theyâre breaking the law.
|
| [...]
|
| Dep Chief Con Cole broke the news to staff in an email after other forces, in
| particular Wiltshire, were approached by the Performing Right Society who
| demand a âsubstantialâ licence fee for public broadcasts.
`----

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4548167.Police_banned_from_listening_to_the_radio/

Since When Is Sharing So Bad?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jerry Leichter writes "We're all taught to share as kids, and sharing is a
| fundamental aspect of human societies. But sharing is also "anti-market" - at
| least as many sellers see it. I have something - a piece of music, a
| lawnmower - that you need. If I share with you, we both come out ahead - but
| if instead you buy one for yourself, the seller and manufacturer comes out
| ahead..."
`----

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-research-free-content-increasingly-popular-as-transactional-sites-wane/

Myth Debunking: Fans Just Want Everything For Free

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a myth. It's a popular myth, and I'm quite sure that Sheffner and
| lots of folks on both sides of the debate think its entirely accurate. But
| it's a myth. The nature of a good economic transaction is one in which both
| parties are better off after the exchange. That means the people "paying"
| don't mind paying. They're happy to pay because they believe that what they
| have received is better than the cost it took to acquire it. But basic
| economics plays into the situation here: if the same thing can be made
| available by others in a better way, it's only natural for people to ask why
| they should have to pay.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090817/1703385904.shtml

Recent:

Yorkshire cops accused of copyright theft

,----[ Quote ]
| Police in West Yorkshire are facing High Court accusations they illegally
| cribbed and sold copyright data from a commercial mobile phone forensics
| application.
|
| Kent-based Forensic Telecommunications Services (FTS) is demanding up to
| Â50,000 from the force for allegedly using material from its software, Hex.
| The package helps investigators examine mobile phones without a SIM card,
| allowing them to recover call registeries and deleted texts, as well as
| identify SIM cards that have been used in the device.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/14/fts_west_yorkshire/

Related:

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) tooâ
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

K government stole website theme

,----[ Quote ]
| NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
| design it nicked.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/18/uk-government-stole-website

Number 10 and the Creative Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| I can only assume that Number 10 have requested, and received, permission of
| the author to remove all traces of this license and attribution from their
| Wordpress site. I have left a âcontact us messageâ at the authorâs website to
| see if this is the caseâ
|
| [Update] Anthony Baggett, the themeâs author, has just confirmed that No 10
| have not requested that the attribution be removed. Thatâs not playing fair
| by my book.
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/18/number-10-and-the-creative-commons/

More on Number 10âs website fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| The original stylesheet4 is 612 lines in length and is 9234 bytes in size
| (9KB).
|
| The modified stylesheet5 is 3826 lines long and weighs in at a frankly
| astonishing 63724 bytes (63KB)!
|
| [...]
|
| âIfâ the developers have modified the Wordpress engine, as is being suggested
| as a possibility here, and then sold it to the Government, in my humble
| understanding that means they have distributed their modifications. That
| means those modifications must also be licensed under the GPL. I had a quick
| look on New Media Mazeâs web site and couldnât find an area for software
| downloads or mention of the GPL. That doesnât say anything to be honest and
| there might be nothing to this, but it would be interesting to find out a bit
| moreâ Is there a real Wordpress guru who can look at the âfootprintâ of the
| XHTML the site generates and tell if it is different? Or are there any other
| ways to tell if it has been modified?
|
| Anyway, what a wheez this all is for us bloggers: It just isnât Gordonâs year
| is itâ
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/18/more-on-number-10/

US presidential candidate is a pirate