Re: [News] Vista 7 Crippled Edition Runs Only on Overly Crippled Computer

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Is your netbook small enough for Windows 7?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | We've known for some time that Windows 7 Starter Edition will only be
> | made available to original equipment manufacturers, but the licensing
> | detail covering what machines Microsoft will allow those OEMs to install
> | the OS onto has been pretty scarce.
> |
> | At a recent Wall Street analyst meeting, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer
> | would appear to have spilled the beans regarding Windows 7 Starter
> | Edition licensing. Ballmer insisted that the license will determine
> | exactly what is and is not a netbook: "it's got to have a super-small
> | screen" he said, adding "it has to have a certain processor..."
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27047/53/

This is all a bit "putting-the-cart-before-the-horse" in true MS fashion,
isn't it?

e.g. The "specification" of the .doc and .xls formats appears to be "how MS
Word and MS Excel do them"!

In this case, Mr. Ballmer appears to be defining the max. machine
specification for which MS is prepared to license one of their super-cheap
OEM versions of Windows 7.
Rather than simply say "This is the specification for such a licence"
though, he uses his specification to *define* the term 'Netbook'!

Actually, I welcome the installation of this Starter Edition.
I'd vote to make it mandatory on all new computers :-)