Re: Microsoft trying to patent studying evolution

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper on Friday:
>> nessuno wrote:
>>
>>> <Quote> two years ago, Microsoft filed a patent for
>>> clustering phylogenetics methods, which have existed for
>>> years, and are currently in use by just about anyone who
>>> does evolutionary biology. The filing has been compared to
>>> attempting to patent multiplication tables, and has the
>>> phylogenetics community on edge. </Quote>
>>>
>>> http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/08/microsoft-trying-to-patent-technique-for-studying-evolution.ars
>>>
>>> Pretty soon you'll have to pay for those multiplication
>>> tables. Intellectual Property, you know.
>>
>> Shows that the company is no more than a patent troll, IMHO.
>
> Microsoft's profitability in software is ending, so it tried
> moving to hardware (XBox, Zune) and failed miserably. Now it's
> trying a new type of product... not a tangible type. SCO tried
> this too.

Fortunately, the US DOJ and EU have made available documentation
of the companies shenanigans through legal proceedings evidence,
so that the average person now has access.  Even though the
window of opportunity closed with some of the US DOJ
documentation, others have archived them and made them available.

Me sometimes wonders if the SCO fiasco was a way for M$ to get
back at the old Digital Research Corporation in a vindictive way,
for competition and earlier law suits that M$ lost.

I still get a kick out of Wintroll whines, that their beloved
Microsoft is not a monopoly.

--
HPT