Re: Microsoft trying to patent studying evolution

After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> In article
> <102e14ba-c5c3-49fa-9e7e-e726ed83b5d3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  nessuno <nessuno7491@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> <Quote>
>> two years ago, Microsoft filed a patent for clustering phylogenetics
>> methods, which have existed for years, and are currently in use by
>> just about anyone who does evolutionary biology. The filing has been
>> compared to attempting to patent multiplication tables, and has the
>> phylogenetics community on edge.
>> </Quote>
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/08/microsoft-trying-to-patent-techniq
>> ue-for-studying-evolution.ars
>>
>> Pretty soon you'll have to pay for those multiplication tables.
>> Intellectual Property, you know.
>
> Can you point out for us exactly what in the claims there is a problem
> with? You did read the patent, didn't you, so that you would be
> competent to discuss it?
>
> Rob Weir had a great blog entry about why most patent discussions suck:
>
> <http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/08/how-not-to-read-patent.html>

Even the first sentence is salutory enough:

   There is perhaps no occasion where one can observe such profound
   ignorance, coupled with reckless profligacy, as when a software patent is
   discussed on the web.

Dammit, Tim, sometimes you act like a schmuck, and then you act cool
(horoshko) again.

--
The lovely woman-child Kaa was mercilessly chained to the cruel post of
the warrior-chief Beast, with his barbarian tribe now stacking wood at