[News] Linux Foundation Releases ABI Compatibility Checker, Linux Plumbers 2009 Speakers Announced

  • Subject: [News] Linux Foundation Releases ABI Compatibility Checker, Linux Plumbers 2009 Speakers Announced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 20:13:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Compatibility checker for Linux libraries

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of its LSB Infrastructure Project, the Linux Foundation has released
| a tool for testing the ABI compatibility of different versions of a C or C++
| library. The ABI Compliance Checker tests whether data types or parameters
| passed to functions have changed between two versions of a library.
| Applications can behave incorrectly or crash where the binary interface is
| not compatible.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Compatibility-checker-for-Linux-libraries--/news/114054

Linux Plumbers Conference 2009 Announces Speakers and Conference Program

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Plumbers Conference today announces the speakers and conference
| program for the 2nd annual conference to be held September 23-25 in Portland,
| Oregon immediately following LinuxCon Portland 2009. Both events will be held
| at the Marriott Downtown Waterfront in Portland, home to one of the largest
| Linux communities worldwide.
`----

http://www.prweb.com/releases/linux/plumbers/prweb2768854.htm

Platform shared with CUDA in software bundle deal

,----[ Quote ]
| As of the spring, nVidia had shipped over 100 million CUDA-compatible GPUs,
| although most of them were probably not in supercomputer clusters. The nVidia
| Tesla GPU co-processors are supported in both Linux and Windows environments.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/20/platform_does_tesla/

Recent:

LBS vendor and Intel partner on Moblin MIDs

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia's Navteq digital-mapping subsidiary announced a partnership with Intel
| to encourage development of location-based services (LBS) software using the
| Linux-based Moblin platform. A new, Intel-sponsored microsite on the Navteq
| Network for Developers portal provides resources for those developing LBS
| software for Atom-based MIDs (mobile Internet devices).
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2829350015.html?kc=rss

LSB 4.0 Release Candidate 1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| I am pleased to announce the availability of LSB 4.0 Release Candidate 1.
|
| This version of LSB 4.0 has been put in the normal release directories, but
| IS ONLY A RELEASE CANDIDATE! In particular, certification is not yet open for
| LSB 4.0.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/lsb-40-release-candidate-1-released

Theodore Tso: How the LSB Helps You Behind the Scenes

,----[ Quote ]
| Theodore Tso: So I got involved with Linux starting in 1991; I believe or at
| least Linus tells me that I'm the first North American Linux kernel
| developer. I started in late August of '91 with the Linux kernel version 0.09
| and been involved with Linux for a very long time. In 1999, I started making
| Linux my full-time job when I started working for VA Linux Systems and in
| 2001 I started working for IBM and about nine months ago I started a two-year
| assignment with the Linux Foundation so I'm still employed by IBM but they're
| letting me spend two years helping out the Linux Foundation, largely with the
| Linux standards space, but I'm also doing other things with them in terms of
| you know helping with the Kernel Summit which is now being run out of the
| Linux Foundation and all sorts of other things, but those are probably the
| two biggies.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/09/theodore-tso-how-the-lsb-helps.html

Go Google, Linux, or Open source or go home! Google tops wireless application
developers for LBS apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gisuser.blogspot.com/2007/10/go-google-linux-or-open-source-or-go.html