Re: [News] Details on BBC's Documentary on Free Software; Free Software "Hall of Famers"

Hadron wrote:

> "Tony(UK)" <tony_smith100@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> BBC launches open-source Digital Revolution
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2009-08/20/bbc-launches-open-source-
>> digital-revolution.aspx
>>

>>> Top 10 Open Source Hall of Famers
>>>
>>> http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/top-10-open-source-hall-
famers-848

>>> Recent:
>>>
>>> BBC wants your help in making open source documentary
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://m.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/26445/bbc-open-source-
>> documentary-web.phtml
>>>

>>> BBC begins work on open source documentary series
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.h-online.com/open/BBC-begins-work-on-open-source-documentary-
>> series--/news/113750
>>>

>>> The future is free
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8128314.stm
>>
>> Interesting news, especially for people in the UK. The Beeb is a lot of
>> things, but it is not, and likely never will be, Open Source anything.
>> I am told that the Beeb are using this to /understand/ the concept of
>> open- source, and cannot grasp the free aspect of the Internet,
>
> Total nonsense Tony.
>
> The Beeb have far and away the best web presence of any broadcaster.

I'm sorry, but I simply can not see the connection between web presence and
my statement that the BBC does not 'get' open source. Much of the Beeb's web
presence is free to the end user 'tis true, but this terrific resource is
funded by the UK TV licence payer, the Government, and the re-sale of it's
programming output and other media to other providers within other
television networks around the world (and here at home). Without this
reselling, Dave, UKTV and other channels viewable on satellite, cable and
Freeview would not exist.

Have you ever noticed that most popular programmes from the BBC now contain
convenient breaks so that other networks they are sold to can show adverts?

We pay for this web content and nothing within the Beeb's remit is totally
'free' in the open source sense of the word; all output is tailored for
resale, except News24, which follows Sky (there is a monitor on Sky News at
all times, as they get the majority the breaking news sometimes hours before
them.

I'm afraid that this is not nonsense at all, and don't understand your
declaration that it is. I am guilty of knowing about these things, you see.

Things may change, but with the technology that brings everything you see,
hear and read to you being supplied and supported by (fill in this with your
conclusions), it will involve radical changes, which the Beeb does not do
well at all. I reiterate, it won't change in my life-time.