Re: Free Software in Education Defended, Expanded

  • Subject: Re: Free Software in Education Defended, Expanded
  • From: Citizen Jimserac <jimserac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 06:29:00 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Anthony Doesburg: Students open to new source of knowledge
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | All of it is open-source - and free - saving an estimated $200,000 over the
> | equivalent proprietary software from the likes of Microsoft. Yet, says Mark
> | Osborne, Albany Senior High's deputy principal and IT co-ordinator, the
> | money's only part of it.
> |
> | "The financial benefits of open-source are quite secondary to our overall
> | goal, which is to be an open, collaborative community where nobody is shut
> | out of the learning process; nobody is beyond our community."
> `----
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=1...

This is quite good and hopefully will lead to new directions in
education which seems, somehow, to get stuck in the consequences of
institutionalized congealment because of funding restrictions and
control.

How many math teachers, for example, even know about the wonderful
MAXIMA symbolic math program, which we would have given anything for
in my student days.  Derived from the MIT Macsyma symbolic math effort
of the 1970's and early 80's, this remarkable program even has 3d
graphing capabilities and would be extraordinary as a teaching tool,
if only more people knew of it.

Citizen Jimserac