[News] GNU/Linux Live CDs Recommended for Security

Tighter Security Urged for Businesses Banking Online

,----[ Quote ]
| Even smarter would be a Mac, or some flavor of Linux, or even a Live CD
| distribution of Linux (after shutdown, all changes are erased).
`----

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/08/tighter_security_measures_urge.html?wprss=securityfix

Why Windows security is awful

,----[ Quote ]
| A friend of mine suggested that I should include as boilerplate in my
| security stories, a line like: "Of course, if you were running desktop Linux
| or using a Mac, you wouldn't have this problem." She's got a point. Windows
| is now, always has been, and always will be insecure. Here's why.
|
| First, desktop Windows stands firmly on a foundation as a stand-alone PC
| operating system. It was never, ever meant to work in a networked world. So,
| security holes that existed back in the day of Windows for Workgroups, 1991,
| are still with us today in 2009 and Windows 7.
|
| [...]
|
| It also doesn't help any that Microsoft's data formats can be used to hold
| active programming code. Microsoft Office formats are commonly used to
| transmit malware. Microsoft's latest Office 2010 tries to deal with this by
| blocking all but read access to documents or 'sandboxing' them.. Since you
| can't edit a sandboxed document, I'm sure that's going to go over really
| well. Of course, what will actually happen is that users won't use the
| sandbox utility, and they'll just spread malware instead.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/security/75601/why-windows-security-awful

Recent:

Consider Linux for Secure Online Banking

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows is like an ocean full of sharks. Do you really want to swim where the
| sharks swim, even if you take some defensive measures? Macs are like a
| swimming pool, no sharks. But, the Mac pool is deep and often neglected.
| Linux also offers a swimming pool, but it's shallower and better maintained
| (more later) than the Mac pool.
`----

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/features/article.php/51671_3834031_1/Consider-Linux-for-Secure-Online-Banking.htm

Related:

FNB switches 12 000 desktops to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With 12 000 desktops switching to Linux this is very likely the
| most significant Linux and open source implementation in South
| Africa to date.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1562

Security? - Don't Bank on It

,----[ Quote ]
| A useful article here dissecting what's wrong with the latest version of the
| UK Banking code...
|
| [...]
|
| Since GNU/Linux users tend not to run anti-virus programs, and don't use
| traditional firewalls: does that mean they're always liable?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/security-dont-bank-on-it.html

Secure web browsing through Live Linux distros

,----[ Quote ]