[News] Nokia Goes with Linux in Phones

Nokia bets on Linux in iPhone battle: sources

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia Oyj will try again to tackle Apple Inc's iPhone in the top-end of the
| handset market with a bet on Linux software, several industry sources told
| Reuters.
|
| Top handset maker Nokia will show its first high-end phone running on Maemo,
| a version of Linux, next week at the annual Nokia World event in Stuttgart,
| Germany, the sources said.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE57P1SG20090826

Recent:

Nokia smartphone-cum-web tablet re-emerges

,----[ Quote ]
| Old rumours that Nokia is looking to replace Symbian with the Linux-derived
| Maemo OS on it smartphones have been re-stoked following publication of
| whatâs thought to be the phone firmâs latest smartphone-cum-internet tablet.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/25/nokia_n900/

First look at Nokia RX-51 also known as Nokia N900

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-rx51-n900-en.shtml

Nokia plots fightback in smartphone market

,----[ Quote ]
| Along with an increased focus on services such as maps and music, Nokia is
| expected to unveil a smartphone using a Linux operating system. Itâs also
| planning to launch a range of netbooks to boost its device offering.
`----

http://www.nma.co.uk/nokia-plots-fightback-in-smartphone-market/3003724.article

Nokia plans foray into netbook segment

,----[ Quote ]
| With the market for converged devices growing, the world's largest cell phone
| maker, Nokia, on Wednesday said it is exploring various opportunities in this
| market and may enter the netbook segment. ( ÂWatch Â)
|
| "...the PC and the mobile will continue to come closer and merge. A lot of
| opportunity can be seen in this converged area.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4911799.cms?prtpage=1

Nokia RX-51 Tablet Captured in the Wild

,----[ Quote ]
| The N900, as we are calling it now, can be termed an upgrade over the N97.
| The device features a full QWERTY keyboard and a huge 3.5-inch touch screen
| capable of WVGA resolution (800x480). It is expected to run the upcoming
| Maeomo5 OS, the latest version of the Linux based smartphone OS that Nokia
| uses for its lineup of tablet devices. That, we believe, would be the major
| difference between this one and the N97 which runs on the more "mass market"
| Series 60 Fifth Edition OS.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Nokia_RX-51_Tablet_Captured_in_the_Wild/551-105373-893.html

Maemo-powered Nokia N900 spotted!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/08/10/maemo-powered-nokia-n900-spotted-115875-21587445/

Is the Nokia N900 Internet Tablet really coming to T-Mobile USA

,----[ Quote ]
| I enjoy using the Nokia N810 device from time to time to surf, use some old
| Palm apps with GarnetVM, and watch movies. I do find it to be a bit laggy at
| times though so it isnât always with me. MobileCrunch posted some rumored
| news on the next Nokia Internet Tablet referred to as the N900, Rover, and
| Maemo Flagship. It is very similar to the Nokia N97, but with a higher
| resolution display and Maemo OS rather than S60.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=1805

Nokia turning to Android for new phone?

,----[ Quote ]