[News] Proprietary Scandal Helps Free Software Establish Footing

VA scandal gives proprietary software a bad name

,----[ Quote ]
| Contracting, by its nature, offers many opportunities for corruption of all
| kinds. A do it yourself approach may be corruptible, but at the end of the
| day you own what you have made, and whatever you think of the software the
| development of the VAâs VistA software has not been a school for scandal.
|
| With the rise of open source this make-or-buy decision is faced by all levels
| of government. Itâs separate from any questions regarding health reform.
| Should government agencies be building their own software platforms using
| open source tools or contracting that work out to proprietary vendors?
`----

http://www.smartplanet.com/technology/blog/rethinking-healthcare/va-scandal-gives-proprietary-software-a-bad-name/337/

'Foreign Policy' Should Stick to its Home Turf

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, old chap, but "open source" and "security" are orthogonal, independent
| axes.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/08/foreign-policy-should-stick-to-its-home.html

Recent:

Open source, not $19 billion, may be best health care stimulus

,----[ Quote ]
| The federal economic stimulus package provides $19 billion to upgrade the
| U.S. health care system to digital records. It's a nice gesture, but the U.S.
| federal government has already developed a robust medical ERP system that
| could significantly improve U.S. health care. It's called VistA. It's open
| source.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10316621-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

EHRs have open-source software alternatives

,----[ Quote ]
| "There's great hope for open-source," said Don Thomas, president of Austin,
| Texas-based SoftLight Development, a technology consultancy and software
| developer. "I think a lot of doctors love the idea of being able to get out
| there and get what they want. But it's one of those things where they hear
| all the negatives or all the positives, so I encourage all physicians to get
| out there and do their homework."
`----

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2009/08/24/bisa0824.htm

Open source can save your life

,----[ Quote ]
| In a field as complex and fast-changing as health care a proprietary system
| would be hard-pressed to keep up with the needs of thousands of hospitals.
| Open source wonât be perfect either, but putting the resources close to the
| people using them just makes more sense.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=575

North Carolina Mental Health Proposals: Open Source VistA Only

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1218595138