[News] Mises Institute Slams Notion of "Intellectual Property"

The Fallacy of Intellectual Property

,----[ Quote ]
| Intellectual property violates the libertarian principles of homesteading and
| exchange, and it makes no sense as a right at all without the assumption of
| an omniscient and omnipotent organization willing to enforce it. Unlike
| homesteading and exchange, intellectual property is not something that anyone
| can reasonably expect to be able to defend and control.
`----

http://mises.org/story/3631

Oh yeah... Mises and those "freetards", eh?

Patents: Horizontal vs Vertical Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Patents promote horizontal innovation, but restrict vertical innovation.
| Without patents we will have more vertical innovation but less horizontal
| innovation. Even if Horizontal and Vertical Innovations are equally good in
| terms of their merits, one thing is clear, without patents, a lot more people
| will be able to use the technology, this is some place where a patent-less
| society will beat a pro-patent society hands down.
|
| Just like if words were copyrighted, and you required a license to use the
| words, we would have had a LOT of innovation (horizontal) in terms of
| development of language and you required a license from John Locke's estate
| to use the term 'liberty', there would have been billions of words in English
| (a lot of them doing the same thing what others do), but a lot less number of
| people would be educated, and most of our brain cells would have been wasted
| on keeping track of 15 different terms for 'liberty', and 'passion'.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000001452

Recent:

Pirate Bay Block Violates Democratic Principles, ISP Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Norwayâs largest Internet provider âTelenorâ was dragged to court by the
| movie and music industries last month, after it refused an earlier request to
| disable customer access to The Pirate Bay. Today, Telenor explains why it
| didnât cave in to the legal pressure and says it wants the courts to rule on
| the issue instead.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-block-violates-democratic-principles-isp-says-090710/

Stephen Fry on copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| At an event in London last night, the writer, actor, and gadget fan Stephen
| Fry launched a surprisingly ferocious attack on the music and movie
| industries over the way they have acted to defend their copyright.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/

Richard Marx (!) attacks RIAA after $1.92M Thomas verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| Jammie Thomas-Rasset was held liable to sharing 24 songs, including one by
| pop crooner Richard Marx. But the lawsuit wasn't done in Marx's nameâthis
| week, he called out the recording industry's "greedy actions."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/richard-marx-attacks-riaa-after-19m-thomas-verdict.ars

Moby: The RIAA Needs to be Disbanded

,----[ Quote ]