[News] Outrage in the UK as MAFIAA Buys the Government Officials

Play time is over. P2P file sharing days are numbered.

,----[ Quote ]
| With its dissolve, the UK government has issued a timely proposal that if
| enforced, will see ISPâs be made responsible for monitoring their own
| customers internet usage, and cutting them off if they spot any suspicious
| activity.
`----

http://thenextweb.com/2009/08/25/play-time-p2p-file-sharing-days-numbered/

Gov.uk: Fickle, Pig-headed, Suicidal? â You Choose

,----[ Quote ]
| News that the UK government was doing a U-turn over the use of a âthree
| strikes and you're outâ approach has finally turned the growing tragedy of
| the Digital Britain process into a total farce.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2464&blogid=14

3 Strikes: Here We Go Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Then we get onto the question of measuring illicit filesharing and defining
| what is and isn't acceptable. The original plan was for a detailed study of
| this, on the basis that policy should be based on evidence. Actually, I take
| my earlier words back - here there is a blatant handbrake turn.
|
| "Evidence â although we have no doubt Ofcom would have carried out their
| research under the original proposals in their usual thorough manner,
| measuring unlawful P2P activity across a range of networks and different
| content is extremely difficult."
|
| This is what a former colleague of mine called 'filing in the TOO DIFFICULT'
| tray.'
`----

http://lawclanger.blogspot.com/2009/08/3-strikes-here-we-go-again.html

Recent:

UK file-sharers to be 'cut off'

,----[ Quote ]
| ISPs have repeatedly argued that it is not their job to police the web.
|
| The Internet Service Providers' Association (ISPA) said it was "disappointed
| by the proposal to force ISPs to suspend users' accounts.

UK.gov revives net cut-off threat for illegal downloaders

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, however, Mandelson's Department for Business said responses to the
| consultation had persuaded it to reconsider introducing the threat of
| disconnection from the internet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/25/p2p_disconnection/

Cor! - UK Pirate Party's Smart Move

,----[ Quote ]
| What's interesting is how tightly focussed the Pirate Party is. I think
| that's wise: otherwise it would just become another Raving Monster Loony
| Party. By restricting its message to an area that it understands, and which
| is crying out for reform, I'm sure it will benefit in the long run. It will
| also, usefully, force the other parties to frame their own responses in this
| domain.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/08/cor-uk-pirate-partys-smart-move.html

The Price of Justice

,----[ Quote ]
| If you believe that denying a fair trial to around 5 million people in this
| country is wrong, maybe it's time to join the Pirate Party?
`----

http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/blog/2009/aug/21/price-justice/

Pirate Party UK Officially Registered

,----[ Quote ]