[News] The Union of Big Media Companies Still Assaults the Internet

Music and film industries to decide who gets broadband

,----[ Quote ]
| THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT, which used to cover the world red, has decided to
| outsource decisions about who can get broadband to the music and film
| cartels.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1530947/music-film-industries-decide-broadband

Anger at UK file-sharing policy

Mininova Ordered to Remove All âInfringingâ Torrents

,----[ Quote ]
| Mininova has lost its civil dispute with Dutch anti-piracy outfit BREIN. The
| judge ruled that Mininova is not directly responsible for any copyright
| infringement, but ordered it to remove all torrents linking to copyrighted
| material within three months, or face a penalty of up to 5 million euros.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/mininova-ordered-to-remove-all-infringing-torrents-090826/

To Buy Or To Pirate? Get A Clue RIAA!

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the RIAA suggests outrageous losses due to digital pirates, other
| research has pointed out that piracy has an insignificant effect on CD sales.
| From the musicians perspective, it takes the sale of about 500,000 CDâs for
| most artists to break even. By making their music available for free, some
| musicians believe it is beneficial. Once a listener has heard and appreciated
| the artistâs music, he may be more willing to buy future work. However,
| consumers who consider music piracy to negatively affect musicians and music
| companies in terms of profit will be less likely to engage in music piracy.
`----

http://www.scitechbits.com/2009/08/26/to-buy-or-to-pirate-get-a-clue-riaa/

Ending the War on Sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| The purpose of copyright â on musical recordings, or anything else â is
| simple: to encourage writing and art. That's a desirable goal, but there are
| limits to what it can justify. Stopping people from sharing noncommercially
| is just too much. If we wish to promote music in the age of computer
| networks, we must choose methods that fit in with what we want to do with
| music, and that includes sharing.
`----

http://stallman.org/end-war-on-sharing.html

Pirate Bay suitor gets backing for buy

,----[ Quote ]
| Global Gaming Factory X (GGF) shareholders have unanimously given the thumbs
| up to the firm's plans to buy The Pirate Bay.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/27/pirate_bay_ggf_shareholder_backing_secured/

Let the Music Play

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year, a number of our users complained about their experience on
| the receiving end of a DMCA complaint. Much commentary at the time focused on
| claims that we were removing blog posts at the behest of music labels, that
| we were not notifying users, and that we weren't providing users with any
| recourse if they were linking to the music with permission.
|
| [...]
|
| We realize this birthday present isn't for everyoneâwe'd hope most of you
| never receive a complaint. But music bloggers are a large segment of our
| usersâand we know that for those who've received one or more DMCA complaints
| in the past, this may have been a frustrating experience. Please take care to
| remove the offending content once notified of the complaintâonce you do, you
| can republish the original post so your audience will continue to have access
| to the other content contained in the post.
`----

http://buzz.blogger.com/2009/08/let-music-play.html

Recent:

Seven Crimes That Will Get You a Smaller Fine than File-Sharing

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/seven-crimes-that-will-get-you-a-smaller-fine-than/32033/