[News] [Rival] Sharp Presents Wonderful GNU/Linux-only (ARM) Sub-notebooks

Sharp intros 5in ARM-based netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus may not be so keen on ARM-based netbooks, but Sharp certainly is. Today,
| it launched the PC-Z1 Netwalker, a weeny netbook based around a 5in display
| and Ubuntu Linux and an ARM Cortex A8-derived CPU.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/27/sharp_linux_arm_netbook/

Sharp launch Linux based Netwalker in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu Linux on the PC-Z1 is a based on the Ubuntu 9.0.4 for ARM port,
| and with Firefox and OpenOffice, still leaves around 2GB free on the internal
| flash storage.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Sharp-launch-Linux-based-Netwalker-in-Japan--/news/114103

NetWalker Sharp : NetWalker, Sharp's Latest Ubuntu Netbook... Is the Zaurus
back? â Hands-On !!!

,----[ Quote ]
| While wer're still waiting for Kei to come back from a Sharp press conference
| in order to shoot some live photos of the beast, he's telling us this little
| baby is pretty snappy despite its Fressscale CPU. With its very compact size
| of only 161.4x108.7x19.7mm and 409g, the NetWalker is really worth the
| investment if you want to surf the Web on the go and check email. Compared
| with the average Netbook, the NetWalker will put to shame any EEE or other
| Atom wannabe compact Netbook due to its freaking small size and weight... But
| don't ask much anyway, the CPU may not be able to handle heavy tasks like a
| ION Based Netbooks.
`----

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-18763-NetWalker%2C+Sharp%27s+Latest+Ubuntu+Netbook..
++Is+the+Zaurus+back%3F+%E2%80%93+Hands-On+%21%21%21.html

Related:

Sharp Debuts Laptop With Optical-sensor LCD Pad

,----[ Quote ]
| The applications in the sensor panel are running on Linux and data is
| communicated back and forth to the main PC, which runs Windows.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163489/sharp_debuts_laptop_with_opticalsensor_lcd_pad.html

Handheld Linux download

,----[ Quote ]
| Hping is open-source network testing software, and some time ago one our
| software gurus compiled a version of Hping to run on the Sharp Zaurus, which
| is a fairly ancient Linux based mobile device.
`----

http://www.thehypervisor.com/2009/06/handheld-linux-download/

LG, Sharp, Chunghwa admit to LCD price fixing

,----[ Quote ]
| LG Display, Sharp, and Chunghwa Picture Tubes agreed to plead guilty to
| criminal charges for participating in a liquid crystal display price-fixing
| conspiracy and pay $585 million in fines, the U.S. Department of Justice
| announced Wednesday.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10095219-92.html

Android OS running on Sharp Zaurus PDA

,----[ Quote ]
| Eschewing Android on a software emulator, the team at eu.edge instead turned
| their attentions to another venerable Linux-based mobile device: Sharpâs
| Zaurus SL-C760.  Only officially sold in Japan, the C760 has a 640 x 480 VGA
| screen and uses a 400MHz Intel XScale processor together with flash storage.
| By rebuilding the Android directory tree on a host PC to match that of the
| emulator, then mount that as an NFS share on the Zaurus, they were able to
| get the Google Phone platform to boot.
`----

http://www.google-phone.com/android-os-running-on-sharp-zaurus-pda-06193.php

Ubuntu ported to a PDA

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Linux 7.04 is now available for Sharp's Zaurus PDAs. The 0.1 release
| comes with a minimalist filesystem that can be launched in an emulator,
| enhanced with software from the vast Ubuntu archives, and then flashed onto a
| real Zaurus.

Sharp, Emblaze and ACCESS creating next-gen Linux smartphone?

,----[ Quote ]
| Very little other information has been released, but industry experts,
| suggest that it will be a new generation of smartphone running the ACCESS
| Linux platform designed for smartphones.
`----

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/10582/11606/Emblaze-Sharp-Access-Linux-smartphone.phtml

Sharp does it once again: the SL-C3200

,----[ Conclusion ]
| As I sit here writing this while listening to the Brandenburg Concertos
| off the Zaurus, life is good. Every serious Linuxer deserves a Zaurus.
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/131/howell.html

Sharp Zaurus RD-CMP2000R

,----[ Quote ]