[News] Opinion: Linux Phones Should Be Made Free (Gratis, Initially)

Why Sprint Should Be Giving Away The Palm Pre For Free

,----[ Quote ]
| There was plenty of hype around the launch of the Palm Pre, which by all
| accounts is a pretty damn good phone (I've played around with it, and like
| it). However, Palm and Sprint made two huge mistakes in marketing it. First,
| they didn't have a really well-developed developer community building apps
| for it, so the app store is pretty weak. Apple did this with the iPhone when
| it launched (and we dinged them at the time as well), but Apple got away with
| it for two reasons: Apple is leading the field in such smartphones, and it's
| Apple, who seems able to bring developers to the table with cultish
| enthusiasm and loyalty.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090827/0404506022.shtml

Nokia's First Linux Phone Looks Good

,----[ Quote ]
| After several unofficial leaks, Nokia on Thursday officially unveiled the
| N900, the company's first Linux phone. It's a good first step to rejuvenate
| Nokia's smartphone line, but will the N900 have what it takes to go
| head-to-head with the iPhone and Android Phones?
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170904/nokias_first_linux_phone_looks_good.html

Recent:

The new Nokia N900

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia today marked the next phase in the evolution of Maemo software with the
| new Nokia N900. Taking its cues from the world of desktop computing, the open
| source, Linux-based Maemo software delivers a PC-like experience on a
| handset-sized device
`----

http://www.mobiletechnews.com/info/2009/08/27/120941.html

Nokia unveils its first Linux phone