[News] Free Software Helps Savings, But Not All About Cost

IT, a key business enabler in the downturn

,----[ Quote ]
| As a pioneer in the development and use of Free and Open Source Software
| (FOSS), we are a strong contributor to the Open Source movement, and have
| been utilising Open Source widely to provide our clients with more optimal
| solutions.
|
| We have a proven track record in contributing to the Open Source R&D,
| including significant contributions to projects such as Apache Web Services,
| OpenBRR, and Sahana Disaster Management project. Our support to projects such
| as Sahana has been part of our sustainability initiatives, which focus on
| making an impact in humanitarian and educational areas thereby helping to
| create a more digitally-inclusive society.
|
| Internally, we have developed solutions based on Open Source software
| including a custom-built software configuration management solution. We were
| able to save significant costs on licensing fee and acquisition costs, by
| adopting the Open Source software for developing the solution.
`----

http://beta.thehindu.com/business/Industry/article8841.ece

Open source: More than just a cheap date

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not surprising that enterprise IT would be looking to lighten its
| software cost burden. Proprietary software vendors derive an ever-growing
| chunk of their revenue from software maintenance fees, a "boondoggle" for
| vendors, according to CMS Watch, which fattens vendor coffers while providing
| minimal value to customers.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10319222-16.html

Recent:

Open source software might be cheaper than alternatives, but it has many other
business benefits, too.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/614233/10-reasons-to-use-open-source-in-business