[News] Intellectual Monopolies Antithesis to Dissemination of Knowledge

10th Cir.: Court reporters do not own a copyright in the transcripts that they
prepare

,----[ Quote ]
| The City and the court reporter complained to the district court and, after
| the case settled, the district court ordered the plaintiffâs counsel to pay
| the reporter a little over four thousand dollars. The attorney for the
| plaintiffs appealed in his individual capacity.
`----

http://www.exclusiverights.net/2009/08/10th-cir-court-reporters-do-not-own-a-copyright-in-the-transcripts-that-they-prepare/

US Gov't Briefing For All Employees: All Music Downloads Are Stolen, Risky

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, to be fair, it's rather obvious that the briefing is designed to keep
| gov't employees from using file sharing programs and potentially exposing
| confidential gov't documents via file sharing. And that's reasonable. But why
| not be accurate and honest about it? Lying about it makes no sense.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090826/1957236010.shtml

Isohunt judge says MPAA has yet to prove direct infringment

,----[ Quote ]
| BitTorrent search engines, The Pirate Bay, was brought up on criminal
| misconduct charges and TorrentSpy's case was decided on a discovery sanction.
| Some of the issues in the Usenet.com case closely resemble Isohunt and
| TorrentSpy's, although the company is not a BitTorrent tracker or search
| engine.
|
| Usenet.com is a company that enabled users to access the Usenet network and
| it too lost on a discovery sanction.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10318942-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Are rights holders seeding files to sue downloaders?

,----[ Quote ]
| A German software developer is alleging that a company hired by rights
| holders to hunt down file sharers actually helped to seed the file he
| eventually got sued for, according to a report from heise.de.
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-1144.html

Recent:

P2P Banned In Antarctica?

,----[ Quote ]
| We know that there's been an ongoing effort by entertainment industry
| lobbyists to convince politicians (and others) that file sharing and P2P apps
| are somehow to blame for stupid government staffers accidentally leaking
| files via those programs. Apparently the propaganda campaign has worked in at
| least one area: employees of the United States Antarctic Program (USAP) were
| sent an alert that they need to stop using all P2P programs.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090818/1726535917.shtml

Another Court Deals Major Blow to DVD Copying

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/another-court-deals-major-blow-to-dvd-copying/