Torvalds' Hatred of Microsoft Critics is a Disease

  • Subject: Torvalds' Hatred of Microsoft Critics is a Disease
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 01:02:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apparently, that melodramatic proclaimer of outrageously twisted
opinion, Linus Torvalds, thinks anyone who criticises Microsoft for
their unethical (and even criminal) behaviour, is suffering some kind of
"disease" (although he fails to specify). I, however, /will/ specify the
disease that fuels Torvalds' hatred of Microsoft critics ... it's called
"pragmatism".

[quote]
"I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I
think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development,
and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also
not shutting other people and companies out.

There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major
reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want
to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred."
[/quote]

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7439/1.html

Having just read yet another article concerning Microsoft's unethical
behaviour, I think I may have the perfect response to Torvalds' rather
blinkered diatribe:

[quote]
Microsoft's chief Washington lobbyist has been convening regular
meetings attended by the company's outside consultants that have become
known by some beltway insiders as "screw Google" meetings, DailyFinance
has learned.

The meetings are part of an ongoing campaign by Microsoft (MSFT), other
Google (GOOG) opponents, and hired third parties to discredit the Web
search leader, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the matter.

"Microsoft is at the center of a group of companies who see Google as a
threat to them in some combination of business and policy," said a
source familiar with the matter, who requested anonymity to avoid
retribution. "The effort is designed make Google look like the big
high-tech bad guy here."
[/quote]

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/08/28/microsofts-secret-screw-google-meetings-in-d-c/

So it seems Microsoft is waging a "hate" campaign against Google. Of
course, this is hardly the /first/ hate campaign Microsoft has waged:
Consider their previous battles with Sun, Novell (pre-SuSE), Netscape,
Apple, RealNetworks, and ... well let's face it - anyone who /isn't/
Microsoft. At least Free Software advocates /have/ friends. Microsoft,
it seems, has none, unless you count Linus Torvalds, that is.

In light of this latest reminder of where the real source of all this
"hatred" lies, here's my response to Linus "disease" Torvalds:

######
I may make jokes about Google at times, but at the same time, I think
that Microsoft's hatred of Google is a disease. I believe in a Free
Market, and that very much involves not just keeping the market
balanced, but also not shutting other people and companies out with
monopolies.

There are âextremistsâ in the proprietary software world, and thatâs one
major reason why I donât use Microsoft's software any more. I donât want
to be associated with the people for whom itâs about exclusion and hatred.
######

Yes, "exclusion and hatred" sums up Microsoft perfectly.

Thanks Linus.

http://slated.org/torvalds_hatred_of_microsoft_critics_is_a_disease

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Seek not the favour of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest
|  and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not
|  voices, but weigh them." ~ Immanuel Kant
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 01:02:20 up 92 days,  5:00,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01